Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I traded in her 2000 Sportage for a 2005 Sedona LX two weeks ago.
The Sportage had 95K miles and ran well but you could never rely on the 4 wheel drive engaging in cold weather. Other than that we had the bearing that supports the fan fail on the highway taking the radiator with it. That happened about 12000 miles ago.
The Sedona has lots of power (which the Sportage didn't) I think due largely to the 5 speed transmission and has scads of room inside. I like the crash test ratings but I think they got them by adding a lot of steel (it's 4800 pounds!).
I want to change the oil and transmission fluid by 2000 miles. Is the only place to buy the trans fluid at the dealer?
I'm looking forward to reading the postings here.

John

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
You can buy it at a Kia dealer, or a Mitsubishi dealer. That's it in the states, that I'm aware of. It's Mitsubishi fluid, so it may be cheaper there. I paid $5.60 a quart from Mitsubishi; I don't know what Kia wanted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have a 2005 Sedona LX and im getting close to 2000Km should i have the oil and tranie fluids replaced by then? I didnt read anything about that!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yakaboochi,

The owners manual calls for the transmission fluid to be replaced every 48000 km or 168000 km depending on the service.
I am old fashioned and like to change the oil and transmission fluid the first time at a low mileage and then I follow the recommended service intervals.
I figure that a lot of wear takes place in the first few thousand miles and it's best to get those bits of metal and other stuff out of the sumps.

Kiamech,

I had to return to my Kia dealer in maryland to by the transmission fluid and paid the same as you did, about $5/quart.
When I went to drain the trans fluid, I saw that the drain plug is about 1 inch above a steel crossmember. How do you drain the fluid without making a terrible mess?????

John

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Messy is the only way to do it. It shouldn't be that bad though, just put a pan under it and most of the fluid should make it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey everyone, first post here.

My wife drives a sedona and I always change the oil on my lancer, so figured i would do her oil too.

Can someone give me a walk thru on on it? I know it's probably super simple as any other car, but thought i'd ask just in case.

Is there anything that i need to replace each change other than the filter? such as a oil pan plug gasket/ring or something like that?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.
Ry

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the sedona ex loaded and I love it. The oil changes come free by Kia Canada. They give you 3 per year which is not bad seeing the most we will put on is 12000 klm per year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts