Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Im a newbie and need some help please
I purchased my first Kia Sedona back in Sept and have a few problems but hey I love the car though its a LPG fuel system and mega cheap to run so in the long run I will save money
However my auto box is havin problems first of all it seems sometimes to be stuck in 2nd gear so when I drive off its very sluggish them five mins later it switches to this mad boy racer revs up to 5.5 revs before its changes gear but with a bang
I have bought some wynns auto box conditioner to see if it helps but so far Ive only done 10-13 miles it in so I cant really tell any difference
some one on the uk site mentioned the torque converter what ever that is
need some advice
please help me Im english :p
thanks
Rich

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Hi Rich,

'Stuck in 2nd gear' sounds like the transmission is in so-called 'limp-home' mode. This is often due to a sensor having failed, resulting in the ECAT (the transmission's control computer) not knowing which gear to select. Its programmed to just select 2nd so at least the vehicle can be driven.

(I had the output sensor on mine fail very early in the vehicle's life. The sensor was intermittent and when the ECAT detected the problem it would change into 2nd with a thump).

This doesn't exactly match the symptoms you are describing though. My suggestion is to take it to a dealer or shop with a scanner that can read any failure & diagnostic codes from the ECAT*.

Peter

* I believe the only scanner that can do this is the genuine Hyundai/Kia Hi Scan Pro, which means you'll probably have to take it to a Kia dealer. I haven't heard of any 3rd party OBDII scanner being able to read transmission codes - has anyone?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts