Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2004 Sedona LX 9,000 miles and have hollow thumping noise in front end. Very bad at slow speeds around 30 mph. Had van in on 01-10-05 for problem had called Kia before going on 12-27-04 and got ref# for complaint. While at dealer Zone rep E-mailed them about my problem. Service manager showed me e-mail and per Kia they say that this noise is inherernt to this vehicle,they are aware of the noise but there is no fix for problem at this time. This info is printed out on my copy from dealership. You will not find a TSB for this so stop looking. TSB's are for tech's so they can FIX a problem! Per Kia no fix is availiable at this time so no TSB!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by snowman@Jan 11 2005, 06:40 PM
Have 2004 Sedona LX 9,000 miles and have hollow thumping noise in front end. Very bad at slow speeds around 30 mph. Had van in on 01-10-05 for problem had called Kia before going on 12-27-04 and got ref# for complaint. While at dealer Zone rep E-mailed them about my problem. Service manager showed me e-mail and per Kia they say that this noise is inherernt to this vehicle,they are aware of the noise but there is no fix for problem at this time. This info is printed out on my copy from dealership. You will not find a TSB for this so stop looking. TSB's are for tech's so they can FIX a problem! Per Kia no fix is availiable at this time so no TSB!!!

I have the same problem with my 2005 Sedona LX. The SM at the KIA dealer told me it was normal, not a safety issue.......... and that KIA didn't know how to fix it! From posts I've read on the KIA Newgroup, this problem seems to have been around since 2001. The idea that KIA doesn't know how to fix this problem is nonsense. Rather, I suspect that they have a basic design fault, but know exactly how to fix it. I also suspect that KIA realizes it may cost a small fortune to do a fix under their warranty program. So what's worse, paying to fix it under warranty........... or looking silly saying that they don't know how to fix it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meet with Zone Rep today (01-25-05) stated that there is a problem and Kia is working on it. Stated that another dealer had replaced struts on a customers Sedona and problem seemed to be corrected. My concern was is this correction temporary and after 6,000-10,000 mi. of driving going to return. Zone Rep is contacting engineering dept and will have an answer for me in about a week one way or another. I have been very impressed with Kia Motors Of America's Customer Service Dept they have returned all calls without delay and have made all contact phone calls with Zone Rep and appointment dates to meet my needs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
02-10-05 still waiting for the correct phone call that will address this problem. Talk to East Zone office and keep getting put off. Was told by zone rep to give him a week it will be three on the 15 th. Will keep you up to date

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been experencing this same problem, finally I took my van to the dealer, and they replaced the right front strut the first time and then yesterday they replaced 2 strut plates, wow this is an improvement so far and I hope this is resolved. I do hear some.... strut noise still but nothing like the steady thump thump thu thump.... I will keep you posted on my progress. and recommend you contact your dealer and have them do the same. My wife has a exact van year and make, but hers is a sage green and she has not had this problem. Mine is Silver and I was told that there was a run of silver ones that had this issue..Later.Peace! :57:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glade to hear you had some resolve. Can you explain what you mean buy strut plate. And if you have your service paper work what they show as a part # and what it states they did. Just wandering if you mean strut bushing, and how many miles have you driven van since fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey snowman, I have only driven it about 100 mile since the reaplacement of the upper strut plates, and I can tell already not only the clunk is gone, but it also drives better. so I must say at this time that I can tell a great improvement. I think the part number of plates is OK52Y-34380 rubber strut mount mtg , ticket says replaced both right and left strut bearing plates,from what I had (very annoying thumping) it is much much better. I still hear a small amount but not much, it is the same as my wifes sage green Sedona now. Whew, I thought I was going to have to live with it for the life of the van. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that info. I spoke with East Region Zone office today(02-14-05 conference call) and Zone Rep stated that he was suppose to have had info from engineering dept(California)on Friday 02-11-05 and did not hear from them. He should have answer for me this week by Friday02-18-05. It appears that they are going to provide a fix for this problem(fingers x)and it may be a few months down the road. I'm guessing that the dealer may have replaced yours with original OEM parts. May explain why it is better but you can still hear noise. I would call dealer parts department and ask for that part, check part # that they give you against the # you have from the work done on your van and if same, and they state that thats the only part # that they show for that part and are not aware of any new updates then you probably have OEM original parts installed and the noise will be back. I HOPE NOT. Will keep you up to date.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is a post I found on another board about this and what fixed it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There Is a fix...you go to the dealer, get new updated spring seats, and upper
strut bearing housings installed.. it has cured about a dozen complaints so
far for me.......this is not a diy job however...and it may still be covered
under warranty. Bob List, Baltimore

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Bob. Still waiting for offical word from Kia, will let everyone know as soon as I hear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bob:

Thanks for the info. I'm having the same problem with my Sedona. I hope they find a way to fix it...... it's the only problem I have on my 2005, but it gets old real fast. I'm waiting for Snowman to report back before I proceed any further on this.

Judging from the number of "views" on this subject, we're not alone with this issue.

Marty

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marty, I will give Kia til Monday 02-21-05 and if I don't hear from them I will contact them. Fingers are X and hope this fix is for real and permanant.
Snowman

·
Registered
34 Posts
I must say that My repairs to mine has improved it much, but it is not all the way gone. getting ready to take a trip to Pittsburg and that should be a good trial run... I will let you know also.. :57:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by stringmachine@Feb 12 2005, 11:24 AM
My wife has a exact van year and make, but hers is a sage green and she has not had this problem. Mine is Silver and I was told that there was a run of silver ones that had this issue..:57:

WOO HOO! I have Sage Green!!! :57: Only 300 miles, so I wont count my eggs till their hatched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same strut problem, same responses (we hear the noise but that is just the way the struts are). Mine is a white 2002 with 18,000 miles. I have heard the noise since about 10,000 and getting worse. I am tired of going to the dealer. I have had many quality problems...squeaky windows, wiper blades, stuck door, even a peck in the engine (lifter, I guess). If I had not had a Kia oil filter on the car, they probably would not have looked at the car. The dealer even put a not on my service order that I must use Kia filters to protect my warranty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine also is white LX (2004), have friend with 2004 EX 2tone red and beige dumped his with 11,000 miles on it because of problem also his brother has 2004 LX white same problem. Color of vehicle has nothing to do with this problem it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all I live in uk and I have this knocking on my 2000 sedona, took it back three times and rydale garage says nothing wrong with it as you all say its a design fault they changed my bottom bushes and the bushes on the roll bar shut up for 20 miles or so but back again
very annoying clonk clonk going over road humps
what is these plates that are being mentioned as a fix I will tell my garage about it

1 - 20 of 346 Posts