Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2008 Sedona LX was broke into a few weeks ago. The vandals pried the center map light console completely out of the roof leaving the dome lights hanging by the wiring harness.
The overhead dome lights did not work afterwards, along with the map lights.
We also noticed the fan swith on the AC system would only work in the last setting before the break in, full speed. The WCS (weight control sensor)
for the passenger side airbag was suddenly bad to causing the airbag light to come on.

I checked all fuses. They were all good. I ordered the Chilton manual and checked the schematic seeing how or if all this could be related and wondering why no fuses were blown.

Of course the KIA service center here in town says it is just a coincidence that the air bag and airconditioner fans caused us trouble right after the vandals pried the map console out of the roof of the van, no way related at all.

I have a different theory and hope someone more savvy with the KIA electrical system can help me prove it. I believe when the vandals did something causing a short in the system that damaged the WCS switch and the AC switch. Normally the fuse should protect the components in the system. However if the fuses can take a greater load before opening than the components in the system then the fuses are worthless.
Is any one savvy enough to look at the schematics and componenets and see if this maybe the case, that the switches are not protected, because the fuses do not open in time to prevent damage.

By the way I am hearing there is a recall on another model of KIA vehicles from my insurance adjuster for the WCS (detects wieght of passenger in passenger seat). Does anyone know which model or models of KIA vehichles?
He told me it was not the Sedona.

Any one else having issues with multiple switches burning out?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
Our 2008 Sedona LX was broke into a few weeks ago. The vandals pried the center map light console completely out of the roof leaving the dome lights hanging by the wiring harness.
The overhead dome lights did not work afterwards, along with the map lights.
We also noticed the fan swith on the AC system would only work in the last setting before the break in, full speed. The WCS (weight control sensor)
for the passenger side airbag was suddenly bad to causing the airbag light to come on.

I checked all fuses. They were all good. I ordered the Chilton manual and checked the schematic seeing how or if all this could be related and wondering why no fuses were blown.

Of course the KIA service center here in town says it is just a coincidence that the air bag and airconditioner fans caused us trouble right after the vandals pried the map console out of the roof of the van, no way related at all.

I have a different theory and hope someone more savvy with the KIA electrical system can help me prove it. I believe when the vandals did something causing a short in the system that damaged the WCS switch and the AC switch. Normally the fuse should protect the components in the system. However if the fuses can take a greater load before opening than the components in the system then the fuses are worthless.
Is any one savvy enough to look at the schematics and componenets and see if this maybe the case, that the switches are not protected, because the fuses do not open in time to prevent damage.

By the way I am hearing there is a recall on another model of KIA vehicles from my insurance adjuster for the WCS (detects wieght of passenger in passenger seat). Does anyone know which model or models of KIA vehichles?
He told me it was not the Sedona.

Any one else having issues with multiple switches burning out?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
I see the A/C control head and WCS go thru fuse ROOM 7.5A in the interior fuse box. While I believe you've checked the fuses, it would be a good idea to take another look to be sure. When you refer to the map/center console, what specifically are you refering to? The front overhead/map console is powered by the ROOM 7.5A fuse while the center and rear overhead lamps are powered by the LUGGAGE 7.5A fuse in the rear fuse box (enclosed with the vehicle jack).

The recall for the WCS issue is for the 2nd generation Rio.

Hope this helps you narrow it down and let us know what you find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts