Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined and have a major problem with my Sedona 2.9 Crdi 2002. When i bought it the only problem it seemed to have was the glowplug lights kept flashing but the car ran fine so i bought it anyway. That was 6 months ago, about 3 months ago while towing my caravan uphill the management light came on, the car made one hell of a racket, loss of power and black smoke came from behind.

Garage said oil was too thin so i did an oil and filter change and it ran fine for a while then about a month ago after filling up with diesel i lost a lot of power, no new lights came on but after i got it home and stopped it it had problems restarting and then when it did it wouldn't go above 2700 revs even in neutral. After doing a lot of checking on here i found out the light flashing could be the 2 wires going to the heaterbox so i checked and 1 had snapped, fixed that and light stays out. Same problem though so i took car to a garage to go on the machine.

Loads of codes came up including one for fuel pressure, one for egr etc but guy then wiped codes and it started fine, rev problem went so i took it for a drive, going uphill same problem as i originally had, ecu light, smoke, lack of power but not the rev problem. Btw if i take my foot of the accelerator the problem stops but light stays on until i restart engine then goes.

Back to garage and computer shows one code p1120 fuel pressure apparently. I asked and there is nothing coming up about the throttle position sensor. Got it home, read up on here again and opened the service panel. Nothing inside but a sender unit though some on here say i should see a diesel pump and filter, not on my car it seems. Also received a egr blanking plate today from ebay.

A few questions if you have time please.
1. Does it seem likely to you to be the fuel problem or egr valve
2. I have changed the filter in the engine compartment, is there any others i should change and where are they, definitely don't seem to be in the tank.
3. How do i blank the egr off.
4. Is there anything else this problem could be.

As i drive it now it starts really bad even if ive driven for an hour and stopped for a minute. That to me seems like fuel or heater, never seen an heater box before but have known heater plugs to cause a similar problem. Once under load the ecu comes on, stays on and if i push the car black smoke from the exhaust and one hell of a noise. Any help is much appreciated. I have taken the service cover off again but all that is there is the sender unit, a small black box with the fuel gauge on it. I'm not great with cars but it looks liike a float so it isnt a filter as far as i can tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also i should have mentioned it used to drive great up to the 2700 revs, no sputtering or anything and was powerful enough even with this problem to tow the caravan. On the flat i could get to 70 in 5th gear but up hills had to change down to 2nd or 3rd as expected. This other problem now though if i press too much on the accelerator once the light comes on the smoke and noise is really bad. It's at the point where if i'm going uphill at say 30 i have to back off the accelerator so much that i've had to go down gears and lost a lot of speed before the top.

Edit, put this in the wrong forum, have copied it into the pre 06 sedona one but cant delete this, can a mod please delete this one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
RE: Sedona 2.9 Crdi 2002 (Diesel)
Not many diesel Sedona's in the US (I think most posters here are in the USA.) but I've give it a shot.

First of all: POST BACK WHAT YOU DO TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.... in DETAIL.

Hi, just joined and have a major problem with my Sedona 2.9 Crdi 2002. When i bought it the only problem it seemed to have was the glowplug lights kept flashing but the car ran fine so i bought it anyway. That was 6 months ago, about 3 months ago while towing my caravan uphill the management light came on, the car made one hell of a racket, loss of power and black smoke came from behind.
Just curious has car ever been wrecked?, does it have a SALVAGE title?, Been underwater? (Flood damage)
Buy the car from a dealer, or from a individual? (On "problem" cars.... most people trade them in...)
Additionally do you live in a region (or was car in a region) in which during the winter time they SALT the roads?
You're problem could be fuel, mechanical /sensor or wiring related.

Garage said oil was too thin so i did an oil and filter change and it ran fine for a while then about a month ago after filling up with diesel i lost a lot of power, no new lights came on but after i got it home and stopped it it had problems restarting and then when it did it wouldn't go above 2700 revs even in neutral. After doing a lot of checking on here i found out the light flashing could be the 2 wires going to the heaterbox so i checked and 1 had snapped, fixed that and light stays out. Same problem though so i took car to a garage to go on the machine.
Oil too thin= Fuel mixture too rich?
Problems after filling up=
Bad fuel, leaking injectors.
PS: CLEAN ALL YOUR GROUNDS.

If it's like the gas Sedona- The Engine ECM tracks what data it is receiving from the Throttle postition sensor, and what it is receiving from the gas pedal (plus a host of other things)... IF the data from those two items don't match you get a Throttle position/pedal mismatch - and on a USA spec'd Sedona the MIL (Check Engine light) comes on, "ESC OFF" light turns on, and the car goes into "Limp Mode"... the car loses power, engine speed drops to appox 1,000 -1,500 rpm... and you're cruising along at 20mph+/-.

Very nice occurrence when you need power (LOL)

Turning OFF car, and recranking gives you FULL power-car will drive as normal until code reappears.
(Assuming the problem is intermittent -if you have a total component failure, It's like the BIOS on a PC... Once the program running gets to a "bad" component the component is flagged as bad. If that happens re-cranking the car has no effect.

Loads of codes came up including one for fuel pressure, one for egr etc but guy then wiped codes and it started fine, rev problem went so i took it for a drive, going uphill same problem as i originally had, ecu light, smoke, lack of power but not the rev problem. Btw if i take my foot of the accelerator the problem stops but light stays on until i restart engine then goes.
How many miles on the diesel?
Did the previous owner change filters and the like on a REGULAR BASIS?
Post ALL the codes-along with text code reader gives.

Back to garage and computer shows one code p1120 fuel pressure apparently. I asked and there is nothing coming up about the throttle position sensor. Got it home, read up on here again and opened the service panel. Nothing inside but a sender unit though some on here say i should see a diesel pump and filter, not on my car it seems. Also received a egr blanking plate today from ebay.

No screen in the tank?
Fuel pressure code= Fuel delivery problem, pump going bad, clogged, return path to tank stuck wide open.
(On most cars the fuel rail is at a certain pressure and have a for the lack of a better word as I have brain fade to correct term a bypass valve in which excess fuel goes back to the tank.)
Loss of power,black smoke=fuel delivery/egr? problem

Just as a thought.... Prior to you purchasing car did car sit up for a long period of time?
Have you drained /cleaned /inspected tank? All kinds of crap grows in diesel fuel.

A few questions if you have time please.
1. Does it seem likely to you to be the fuel problem or egr valve
With the other problems you mention- I'd lean towards bad (leaking) and/or not spraying right injectors- with that said it could be wiring related.

2. I have changed the filter in the engine compartment, is there any others i should change and where are they, definitely don't seem to be in the tank.
Q: Have the previous owners changed the filters as they should?

3. How do i blank the egr off.
4. Is there anything else this problem could be.
Wiring? Engine ECM... who knows. Best thing is to post ALL the codes, then work from there.

As i drive it now it starts really bad even if ive driven for an hour and stopped for a minute. That to me seems like fuel or heater, never seen an heater box before but have known heater plugs to cause a similar problem. Once under load the ecu comes on, stays on and if i push the car black smoke from the exhaust and one hell of a noise. Any help is much appreciated. I have taken the service cover off again but all that is there is the sender unit, a small black box with the fuel gauge on it. I'm not great with cars but it looks liike a float so it isnt a filter as far as i can tell.
How COLD is it were you are?
Pre-heater box is like a big blow-dryer- it heats the incoming ambient air...without it engine isn't going to start in cold weather.

Once the engine is warmed up- you don't need to pre-heat the air , or glowpulgs. (At least that's the way it is on my Volvo F613 truck -which I think doesn't have glowplugs)

If it's hard to start after it's been run, then shut off- that indicates bad injector(s), or injector pump (if it has one) more so than a glowplug problem.

Injectors that are spraying properly /leaking down would cause pretty much all the problems you are mentioning.

Q: Why did previous owner get rid of it?
(PS: Any chance you could get in contact with him to pick his brain)
Q: Do you have ALL the service records on the car?
Q: What did previous owner say about glowplug lights flashing?

PS: POST BACK WHAT YOU DO TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.... in DETAIL.

·
Registered
263 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts