Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here.....

Had my 03 Sedona aligned while rotating tires....left front was starting to wear on the inside. I thought...no big deal, simple toe adjustment. Ok.... get it back first time...steering wheel just off center to the right, but car tracks straight ahead/ Second time....to fix, center streering wheel... same thing, no difference,....third time....tech still can't get it centered right on the money...says this vehicle has camber/caster adjustments.... must loosen bolts at top of strut and rotate strut to accomplish this. Says this will center the steering wheel. I thought the camber and caster were pretty much locked into the frame design of cars anymore??? Is this a bunch of bulls**t or what ??? All I want is a perfectly centered steering wheel ???

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Hello iserrent,
I bought a new Sedona at the end of last year. The steering wheel was off centre to the left. I complained for ages before they agreed to centre it. I said that a brand new car should have the wheel centred. Anyway it came back with the wheel still off centre, but this time it is to the right!!!

I thought that the steering column had splines on both ends, and all you had to do was take off the wheel and move it round one spline. It's still off centre and I'm afraid I am fed up now with all the hassle, but it's interesting to find out that someone has the same problem..

Hope you get it sorted.

Pictishloon

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Kirky they don't align the steering wheel like that. they adjust the tracking to adjust the steering wheel position. They've just done it to mine yesterday and now have it perfect alignment at last.

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, let me tell you how I made out.......

I went to yet another appointment at another "state of the art" garage owned by the same chain to center to steering wheel. They have some sort of brand new atomic powered laser guided alignment rack !!!! The mechanic listened to my complaint, pulled it in on the rack.... didn't even turn the machine on, took 1/4 turn off the right tie rod and added the 1/4 turn to the left tie rod. He said take it for a ride, see what you think? The steering wheel was dead center. I went back somewhat skeptical, he assured me that if indeed the car was aligned in the first place, and I'm pretty sure it was, beacause it was tracking straight, the slight adjustment he made to each tie rod would not disturb the alignment, but would sync up the straight wheel with the track of the car. Total time....5 minutes. I think the issue is over, how come the other braintrust mechanics at garage no. 1 didn't know this ???? I hate this !?!?!??

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Well guys, Ive learned something here. Now I will go back to my dealer and see if I can get my own steering wheel lined up central at last. Though I have my doubts because I'm STILL waiting to hear from them about the 'safety recall' (ha ha) for the rear hubs.

Thanks

Kirky.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kirky,
this wouldn't be the Kia dealership in Felling Gateshead by any chance?. I have a new (55 reg) sedona bought from another dealer simply because of the apathetic attitude of their sales force. I live in the North East near Durham, and there is a Kia dealer there, Stoneacre at Brandon. If it is a safety recall they should be able to fix it.

Malcolm

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Hello Malcolm,
Got it in one! Yes it's the self same dealer. The salesman was very good with me, but the after sales seem to be very poor. Apathetic sounds a good word.

I will try to find your dealer in Durham, I'm just down the road.

Many thanks.

Kirky.

·
Registered
57 Posts
JUST WANTED TO ADD A NOTE ABOUT INSIDE TIRE WEAR. I HAVE BECOME AN ACTIVIST IN FIXING MY FRONT STRUT "THUMPING" AND HAVE LEARNED THAT A LOT OF SEDONA OWNERS HAVE INSIDE TIRE WEAR???? I WONDER IF ALL OF THIS IS JUST SOMEHOW RELATED TO POOR WEIGHT DITRIBUTION DESIGN ON THE FRONT END.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard that Kia Sedonas are notorious for being out of alignment when they are received. I had to pay $75 to get mine fixed so that I didn't continue to wear out my tires prematurely.

Shouldn't Kia be liable for selling a product with a known defect?

Any word about a possible Class Action Lawsuit?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by pepper@Nov 23 2005, 04:24 PM
MTROXELL has your keyboard broken? Why not take the caps lock off?

Hello Pepper,

Mtroxell answered that in other thread, trust me on this, Mtroxell is not being bad manered or shouting.
seacam

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Kirky,

and so have I, goes to show, you just need someone with experiance.

BTW you really ought to show off your center console, I think it's good,I'm sure others would find it so.
seacam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts