1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Kia Sedona V6 223,000 miles
Problem:
Engine Oveheating, Blowing cold air, and thin white smoke coming from in between the firewall and engine.
Steps taken to diagnose:
-Radiator evavaluation and all hoses no leaks
-Resivor tank still full
-Fans still kick on
- Changed Thermostat
That didn't work, next:
- Changed the water pump
That didn't work either,
Question:
Is there a way to test before getting into a d.i.y head gasket repair?
Start with a radiator flush of the whole system, and check all heater core lines, as I believe their is a rear heater core for ther back passangers as well?
Patriotic help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,233 Posts
It sounds like coolant is being lost so fast that you can't keep it topped off, and then it overheats. But that's just speculation based on what you wrote, so you need to describe exactly how fast and how much coolant the vehicle is losing. And it's also important to mention if you ever see any coolant on the ground underneath the vehicle, and if there is any sign of coolant and oil mixing together.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like coolant is being lost so fast that you can't keep it topped off, and then it overheats. But that's just speculation based on what you wrote, so you need to describe exactly how fast and how much coolant the vehicle is losing. And it's also important to mention if you ever see an coolant on the ground underneath the vehicle, and if there is any sign of coolant and oil mixing together.
TY. Let me clarify.
I'm not noticing any coolant leaking.
On the ground etc.
The resivior is full and stays at the same level even after I start the car after making the repairs above.
It starts to overheat after 10 minutes of starting, with thin white smoke coming from in between the engine and firewall.
However the fans should kick on as soon as it starts oveheating correct?
I just noticed that my fans arnt turning on once it starts to smoke, however the temperature gauge reads it's low.
So now im learning towards faulty fans, and ther engine coolant being lost is due to blown gasket or coolant being burned?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,182 Posts
-Fans still kick on
The resivior is full and stays at the same level even after I start the car after making the repairs above.
It starts to overheat after 10 minutes of starting, with thin white smoke coming from in between the engine and firewall.
However the fans should kick on as soon as it starts oveheating correct?
I just noticed that my fans arnt turning on once it starts to smoke, however the temperature gauge reads it's low.
So now im learning towards faulty fans, and ther engine coolant being lost is due to blown gasket or coolant being burned?
There's a few things written that don't correlate.

First post you say the fans are working, and the second post not.

Also, if the coolant is lost through an external leak or internal through a blown head gasket, the level cannot stay the same.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a few things written that don't correlate.

First post you say the fans are working, and the second post not.

Also, if the coolant is lost through an external leak or internal through a blown head gasket, the level cannot stay the same.
Just noticed that the fans don't come on at all.
  • I get in turn on the van,
  • Turn on the hearter it blows cold air
  • Thin White Smoke, antifreeze I presume, begins within 10 minutes or so in park, between the engine and firewall.
  • Thermostat Gage at this time hasn't shot to h yet.
  • No check engine light
  • No White smoke coming out of the tailpipe
  • I checked the oil, it's not milky
  • At no point does the resivor tank ever move, or replace the antifreeze that im losing to create the oveheating.
Fans and blown head gaskets as well as a good flush is what I'm leaning towards?
Would my fans not turning on once my engine starts to smoke be the problem?
Probably common sense, however my research comes up dry as to when your fans are suppose to come on.
If my temp gauge says cool and my engine is smoking i's something not reading or relaying ti kick on my fans?
Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Grand Carnival/Sedona 3.8
30 Posts
Sounds like you just have coolant dripping onto the exhaust pipe from somewhere. If its a drip wont after the level very quickly. Starts to smoke when the pipe gets hot. Check all your heater hoses for drips.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you just have coolant dripping onto the exhaust pipe from somewhere. If its a drip wont after the level very quickly. Starts to smoke when the pipe gets hot. Check all your heater hoses for drips.
Another once over and I spotted the leak.
Rear Heater Hose was loose dripping antifreeze onto the exhaust, causing the white smoke.
Thank you and I’ll be sure to keep all updated as to:
-changing out the Heater Tube behind the engine in between the firewall
- Cut our Rusted heater lines and replace with 5/8th tubing. Tomorrow

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
Sedona 2010
54 Posts
Another once over and I spotted the leak.
Rear Heater Hose was loose dripping antifreeze onto the exhaust, causing the white smoke.
Thank you and I’ll be sure to keep all updated as to:
-changing out the Heater Tube behind the engine in between the firewall
- Cut our Rusted heater lines and replace with 5/8th tubing. Tomorrow

Happy Holidays
When diagnosing problems like this I always remove the radiator cap to make sure the level is up to the top. But do it when it is cold. Glad you found the source.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts