Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
sedona ts previous st170 standard ford focus orion fiesta diesel best of all ford granada ghia
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi everybody.
i have recently changed the actuators on the sliding doors. doing so repaired the rear left side. but not the drivers side. does anybody know if this could be a relay problem. if i turn off the overhead consul it will still open the working door even when turned off. and i am wondering if this could be part of the relay thats causing to happen and also not making the right hand side work i love this car and not having this work with 4 kids is a pain
any comments would be much appreciated
thankyou
just a thought do these doors work of a relay system ?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
When you open the rear hatch, on the left side panel, open the access door. (Where the jack is). There is a fuse panel in there. If you had a mechanical problem I could help more, but I am clueless about electronic systems. Sorry :(

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
I think you might need to give a better breakdown of what's working and what isn't.

1. Does the faulty door open electrically at all - either by internal buttons or pulling the door handle?

2. Does the passenger side door work with the overhead console button even when you've isolated the power with the overhead switch or do you mean it will open electrically when you pull on the external handle?

3. Have you verified if there is any power getting to the door?

As I understand there is a logic process to be followed when replacing the actuator motors. Basically, if the door opens by pulling on the handle then it's pointing in the direction of the actuator motor being at fault.

If the door doesn't respond to pulling on the handle then it's probably the main door motor that's at fault, or a fuse may be blown? See also the "shunt" fuse which supposedly helps to reset the system.

Of course you could also have the same problem that I encountered - have another look at my video where the door fails to open or close properly - because the pull-cable had become disengaged. The actuator motor was properly fitted and working - but the doors did not respond with power.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I do know that there is a re-learn process. Turn the power on the overhead console off, and go through the cycle of opening and shutting the doors a few times.

·
Registered
sedona ts previous st170 standard ford focus orion fiesta diesel best of all ford granada ghia
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you gregskia and gtd2000
yes i have done a fuse check they are ok. i just wondered if there was a relay for the doors somewere.
the door that works will work by any method now. but also works when the overhead button is turned off.
the door that does not work will not respond to any buttons i press and can only be opened manually.
i have tried the shunt but no luck on that.
i don't think there is any power going to any of the buttons related to the offending door no clicking. beeps.or actuator sounds this is why i think it could be a relay (if there is one fitted)could there be a relay at the back of the fuse housing. i have googled door relays and it only comes up with door lock relays but the door locks and unlocks ok electricaly. is there a specific check that i could do for checking the power source to the right hand door.
thanks again for your help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gtd2000
i saw your video and that's what prompted me do diy on the doors. brilliant and you must have saved kia owners literally thousands of pounds over the globe.
yes i checked cables ect i think i will buy another actuator. knowing my luck the new one was faulty too. maybe clutching at straws here but i will try all the same. my local dealer wanted to charge me over a thousand pounds to fix the doors so so far i have saved 980 pounds haha.bet im not so lucky on the next door though

·
Registered
496 Posts
Before you buy another actuator I'd just try hooking it up to a power source - I'm not sure if the actuator runs on the full 12v or not?

I'm kind of thinking aloud here but you could perhaps just make up a couple of connectors and connect the actuator motor to a battery? Obviously, you'd need to research/verify this before you felt happy about doing that.

Does the UK version of the Sedona have an electric window in the sliding door - does the window work properly or do you have a complete loss of power to that door?

£980 (US$1600) is ridiculous for that repair :eek:

On my mothers KIA Picanto, the total bill (which was finally paid for by KIA UK) for rebuilding the engine after fitting a new crankshaft was £650 (US$1000) down at Belmont KIA in Selkirk.

You can get the actuators pretty cheap on ebay.co.uk but I'd be verifying that there is actually power getting to the actuator motor connector and tracing back where possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yes i agree. even if i try a battery charger i dont mind destroying a actuator 9 pounds each to get results yes it has electric windows on rear doors and are working ok. hey we are talking the uk here its a rip off place. they think of a price and double it i think its around 65 70 pounds an hour labour charge excluding parts. could be more ? i think i will try and pull the center consul off too and have a peek. failing that try and work out if i have any power going to any of the switches. or see if i can get anybody with an avo to test them its my only chance before it goes back to kia, humph. think il go get a chicken sandwich
i do thank you for your help and how cheap is that to change a crank. doubt if they would do that here. they would just charge for a new replacement motor
i have had this sedona from new just over six years done 44000 miles and had no trouble apart from a faulty fuel pump. oh and it eats front tyers like a new set every year so cant complain that much

·
Registered
496 Posts
It used to be "Rip Off UK" years ago I agree - but to be honest a lot of stuff is currently very reasonable compared to other countries that used to be much cheaper.

I noticed a big drop in prices after the recession hit - the opposite to the USA where almost everything (other than house prices) seems to have gone up since the recession..

Right now, I'm in California and one of my colleagues takes his car to a back-street garage for oil changes and repairs - it's US$95 (£60) per hour but in my local area in Scotland (Galashiels) a back street garage is probably only £35~40 per hour at the most.

I also thought the price to swap the crankshaft was pretty reasonable but as it should have been fixed by KIA under warranty (it's a factory defect) I was pretty pi$$ed off at the time - especially when I told them what the problem was and they kept telling me otherwise! :cool:

It might be time to think about a different brand of tyres for your van - over here in the USA it seems quite normal to get 40~50000 miles out of them. The Sedona/Entourage is mainly available as the heavier LWB variant so there's no reason for terrible tyre life. As an example one of my mates has a Mitsubishi Warrior that had a set of BF Goodrich tyres fitted - they lasted 80,000 miles :eek: I think he had 2 or 3 sets before he discovered that price isn't always the best way to look at buying tyres.

Tyres in general don't seem to last anywhere near as long as they do in the USA - maybe it's due to the different types of roads or just much softer compounds? Perhaps you need the tracking checked - or is it even wear?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well scottish roads have become dreadfull i mean pot holes sometimes 5/8 inches deep. i dread to think of a motorbike going down them and as you know it rains alot here and when they fill up with water you cannot see them i think we need to check tracking every couple of months and at 35pounds a time it dont come cheap.yes i get unrven wear. next tire change i will take a look.
im going yo have to wait until monday to look at the doors again ive got a hard 2 days work at the weekend, and dont have much daylight yet. bet your jealous now. im up in glasgow but originally from essex down south

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think you can get the tracking done at ATS for £25?

If the tracking is out, that could wear through tyres in no time at all. Have you thought about checking out any of your local scrappies for part worn tyres? I usually try to get the tryes from the spare wheels that have never been used.

I hear you on the roads - mind you, the state of the roads can be terrible over here as well.

Remember you can actually claim against the local council for vehicle damage resulting from potholes - just make sure you stop and take a photograph of the incident or you'll not have a leg to stand on.

I've not been back home since October but there's no place like home as they say :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well scottish roads have become dreadfull i mean pot holes sometimes 5/8 inches deep. i dread to think of a motorbike going down them and as you know it rains alot here and when they fill up with water you cannot see them i think we need to check tracking every couple of months and at 35pounds a time it dont come cheap.yes i get unrven wear. next tire change i will take a look.
im going yo have to wait until monday to look at the doors again ive got a hard 2 days work at the weekend, and dont have much daylight yet. bet your jealous now. im up in glasgow but originally from essex down south
still cant find this problem. i have put the actuator on a battery and it spins ok . checked pillar button and all associated wires for damage and fastness overhead consul fuses again but still cant get to the bottom of this its driving me crazy its obvious or seems to me this must be a power source problem. but i cant find where the source of power starts. it must be the actuator first then in turn that must start the door motor running, correct me if im wrong.but i cant find how to get power to any of the buttons. i diagram would help but then im not that good at following them. but at least if i knew the route where it starts and where or what units it goes to maybe i could detect it. i spoke to kia today and they said they would have done what i have done. looks like im going to be beaten on this one grrrrr

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes its all together it weird i just checked and all power seems to come from the rear passenger side i pulled one of the plugs and all power to the duff door was cut including door lock and windows. re installed it but still nothing to the buttons or motor i totally stripped the sides and doors and cant find a fault anywhere. seems im well and truly up the creek looks like kia is going to have to rob me of my hard earned money and i will have to take it in

·
Registered
496 Posts
You could always go to a local auto-electricians. That might work out cheaper than the local KIA Dealer?

You know how to install the motor and take everything to bits and re-assemble - sounds like you just need help on the electrical side.

If you've got everything already removed - doors panels etc - shouldn't take too long for a sparky to troubleshoot...? Famous last words of course!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well first im going to try if i can get a 2nd hand one from a breakers and just wire it up with out the cable attached . if it runs then great if not then sure i will go to a car sparky these people arent cheap either . at least one side works so no great rush at the moment. whats the weather like down your way then you basking in sunshine

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i have sourced a 2nd hand motor £90.00 should be here on tuesday. have not got a clue yet how to take the motor off. i just hope it comes away and the cable that goes to the pulleys and door stay in place and its as simple as just pulling it off the the cogs and refitting it on top. do you know anybody who has replaced this motor or any thing similar.got a bad feeling about this is still not going to work after replacing it. getting real cold here nowand snow on the way. i thought calli was always a warm place. beaches golden and in shorts all year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Of course you could also have the same problem that I encountered - have another look at my video where the door fails to open or close properly - because the pull-cable had become disengaged. The actuator motor was properly fitted and working - but the doors did not respond with power.
I had this issue as well, having followed the great instructions on replacing the motor the door worked fine for a week until it opened and refused to close at all (even manually!!) when I pulled off the trim one of the cables had dropped off, re-fitted it tightend the connection a bit and it's now fine.
I would try a GOOD auto electrician rather than a main dealer, probably cheaper and a lot of dealers just get in a GOOD auto electrician to sort out problems anyway
Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for your help rolydog. i had already looked at this .
but the problem was no power at all to the door motor or door actuator.
sussed it out now
where in herts are you then i used to live in bengeo by by the town

1 - 20 of 21 Posts