Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my new Sedona in for its first ever service (10,000 miles since Christmas.) There was no courtesy car available so my partner had to follow me in her car. 5 hours later I picked it up, apparently fully serviced.

I say apparently fully serviced because,
1) I had to ask for the service sheet after being told “Oh we don’t normally hand those out now”. I said that I shouldn’t ‘normally’ have to ask for it, but I want it please.
2) When I looked at the service sheet, (it says ‘Visual Healthcheck’) and is one of those ‘ticky boxes’ sheets, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read it! There was absolutely no ‘ticky box’ for ‘oil change’, nor was there a box for ‘oil filter’ or ‘air filter’, and no box for ‘tyre pressures’.

As an engineer, I do realise that a diesel engine should have its oil and filter changed after its first 10,000miles, and probably at least every 10,000 miles after that! So why is there no mention at all of an ‘oil change’ or ‘change the oil filter’ on the official Kia ‘service’ sheet? Also being an automatic, why is there not even a sniff of ‘check gearbox oil’ or ‘change gearbox oil’ for a later service? The only ‘ticky box’ that mentions ‘oil’ comes under the section described as ‘Underbonnet’ and is in fact ‘engine oil level’, nothing more than that.

Under the heading of ‘brakes’, the mechanic has written, “ Pads wearing, may require replacement at NEXT service”!!!!

Excuse me but am I missing something here? I wonder just what they do for a service?

John

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Kirky,

I agree with Murphwiz, it doesn't.

Be that as it may Kirky you need to seek assurance this service has been carried out fully, phone the service manager, get him to confirm in writing what was actually done to your vehicle.

Read Ebod's post, "1st view under the covers" and replies, follow his lead and complain to Kia direct if necessary.

Name the dealer who carried out the service either in your post but there is a topic already set up on this subject..

Also was the vehicle's bodywork inspected, have you checked it?
Seacam

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Murphwiz and Seacam,

Thanks for your replies and advice. I can assure you that this was the sheet that I was given, but as I said, I had to ask for it, it wasn't offered to me. The Sedona service book has been signed and dated by them.

Following your advice, I think I will print out this thread with your replies, and take it in tomorrow and ask the service manager for his explanation. I suppose I should have done it at the time, but I didn't study the form thoroughly until I was back at home 13 miles away.

There is no mention of the bodywork anywhere, not even a 'ticky box' for bodywork.

I think I had better check the colour of the oil on the dipstick before I go back!

Many thanks

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's shocking John,

Did Kia do the servicing or did they use a Third Party?
I'd be hissy fitting ............ that's not 'service' in my books!

Let us know the outcome.

Fiona

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Check the front of the engine and look underneath at the oil filter. Does it look new or dirty on the outside ?

Other than the oil/oilfilter change the only thing you get for your money is a load of ticked boxes. On the service schedule, every service is 'supposed' to have the driveshaft joints lubricated. ....do you REALLY think they do....dream on!!
If anybody reading this has a car inside its warranty and still serviced by KIA, I challange you to paint some tippex on the cable ties that secure the CV joint boots. I have no doubt those cable ties will still be there untouched after the service...but the box ticked to say they were lubricated.

:eek:fftopic:
This is why I'll never buy a car inside its 3yrs warranty period because you pay a heep of money for a car and get ripped of in the servicing costs.

If your vanity can cope with buying a 3yr old car, get one private ( not a trader...not a used dealer...someone whos owned it for 2+ yrs ) and pay 30-50% of the new value depending on mileage etc. You'll know straight away whether the owner is genuine as intuition kicks in.
My car my have a few niggles to sort, but I've got something that cost over£19k new for the price of a Picanto. :beer:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by ebod@Aug 20 2005, 10:54 AM
. On the service schedule, every service is 'supposed' to have the driveshaft joints lubricated. ....do you REALLY think they do....dream on!!
If anybody reading this has a car inside its warranty and still serviced by KIA, I challange you to paint some tippex on the cable ties that secure the CV joint boots. I have no doubt those cable ties will still be there untouched after the service...but the box ticked to say they were lubricated.

Ermmm theres nothing on the KIA service sheet about lubing driveshaft joints, those are sealed until the gaiter splits basically!
There is however a box to lube propshafts, this applies only to the Sorento and Sportage, as they are the only KIA's sold in the UK with Propshafts.

Kirky, any way you can scan this service sheet you got? or even take a picture of it to post?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
I've got the 70K & 80K service sheets. On things like auto transmission, the bloke as put N/A as its a manual. But on each of the sheets, the bloke has ticked lubericated prop shaft joints so I assumed this was CV joints.

Don't get me wrong, I know a CV joint is not designed to be maintained. I just found it funny that a box was ticked. I just know these check lists are complete tosh and made to make the owner think somebody is actually checking their car.
The only things they check are the things they can make many out of you with.

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday I went back to my Kia dealer and asked for the Workshop manager. I explained to him about the ‘service sheet’ that I was given, with no mention of ‘oil change’, ‘oil filter’ etc.

He was most apologetic, and disappeared for ten minutes (??) to re-emerge with a copy of the proper bona fide Kia service sheet with all the usual checks on it. Although I can’t help wondering why it took the service manager ten minutes to find it. He did however, assure me that the whole proper service had been done, and when I checked the oil filter, it does look brand new.

Apparently, the girl on the service counter should not have given me the ‘visual healthcheck’ sheet that she gave me, as it was obviously the wrong sheet.

At Seacam’s suggestion, I also asked about the vehicle’s bodywork inspection, but I was told that this was only the 10,000 mile service, and as the vehicle was only 8 months old, the bodywork would not be inspected until the vehicle was EXACTLY a year old!

Incidentally, Ebod was right!!! When I look down all the ticks on the sheet, they have ticked, 'Clutch Pedal Height' and 'Manual Transmission Oil'. How do you check those on an automatic?? I think perhaps a robot has ticked this service sheet! Or, does this account for the disappearence for ten minutes?? Who knows?

Murphwiz, I will try to scan my original 'Visual Healthcheck sheet, but my scanner is playing 'silly b.....rs' at the moment.

Thanks for all your input. As usual it was most helpful.

John

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello John,

Glad you got it sorted.

The point I was making about bodywork inspection was to do your own and not to rely on Kia even if they say thay have done so.

6000, 8000, 10,000, 30,000, miles it doesn't matter, do your own checks.
Seacam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts