Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking for some help clarifying what timing belt kit I need to get. I have removed the old engine as the crank has snapped, and have taken off all the ancilleries.

I have now purchased another engine (J3) from the same aged car (2001 -'Y') and have noticed that the replacement engine does not have the idler (touch idler electronic manual I have). I am suspecting the additional idler is a later upgrade to the engine, and that it may be worth changing the timing belt case from the old engine to the new.

Can anyone shed any light on the 2 types?

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
465 Posts
Hi All,

Looking for some help clarifying what timing belt kit I need to get. I have removed the old engine as the crank has snapped, and have taken off all the ancilleries.

I have now purchased another engine (J3) from the same aged car (2001 -'Y') and have noticed that the replacement engine does not have the idler (touch idler electronic manual I have). I am suspecting the additional idler is a later upgrade to the engine, and that it may be worth changing the timing belt case from the old engine to the new.

Can anyone shed any light on the 2 types?

Thanks in advance
I believe the extra idler goes with the 152 tooth belt rather than the 151 tooth belt. I have a W reg engine without the idler that takes the 151 tooth belt and a Y reg engine in the garage that takes the 152 tooth belt that has the extra idler just below the exhaust cam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I guess the replacement engine is perhaps from a W or X plate. I think I will change over the timing gear cover to keep the additional idler in place so that any future parts searches flags up he correct parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On reflection, does anyone know if the later timing cover is compatible with the engines that came with the 151 tooth belt originally? Don't want to particularly strip parts of the engine that are going to have to be refitted.

·
Banned
465 Posts
On reflection, does anyone know if the later timing cover is compatible with the engines that came with the 151 tooth belt originally? Don't want to particularly strip parts of the engine that are going to have to be refitted.
I would have thought they are the compatible as the blocks are the same, Y reg was the start of kia altering stuff ready for the CDRI injection system hence the extra idler

·
Registered
2001 Sedona 2.9 SX TD-still going/Toyota Corolla-DEAD/Citroen Xsara-DEAD/Ducati/Suzuki Bergman
65 Posts
Good evening all. Mine originally had a 152 tooth belt with the touch idler, i replaced it with the 151 tooth version (due to the fact that i could not be arsed to take it back). I used the tensioner that came in the kit and removed the touch idler. It was a bit of a faff to tension the belt, but it can be done. That was 30,000 miles ago...

·
Banned
465 Posts
Good evening all. Mine originally had a 152 tooth belt with the touch idler, i replaced it with the 151 tooth version (due to the fact that i could not be arsed to take it back). I used the tensioner that came in the kit and removed the touch idler. It was a bit of a faff to tension the belt, but it can be done. That was 30,000 miles ago...
Naughty naughty take a seat in the corner;) How you doing Michael? never understood the reason behind the extra idler if it meant adding an extra tooth to the belt without the extra idler the belt is not exactly easy to fit or in danger of falling off.

·
Registered
2001 Sedona 2.9 SX TD-still going/Toyota Corolla-DEAD/Citroen Xsara-DEAD/Ducati/Suzuki Bergman
65 Posts
Hi Bruno, I've got a new job, so don't get much chance to get on here.
There is a little bit belt slap on the long section of the belt on tick over which is probably why they fitted the touch idler. If she lasts to 180k miles then I'll be ignoring the advice of the YTS plonker saying "computer says you definatly need this kit sir" and putting the correct kit on..
Advice to all owners with TDI engines produced just before the common rail engine was released, strip it down and count the teeth or better still take the parts with you. Trust us (Bruno included) you will be sold the wrong kit/belt...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts