Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up an affordable set as a spare and/or winter tires. I have a 2012 Sportage LX.

I have found a set from a 1995 Jeep Cherokee, which appear to have the same bolt pattern, and originally come with 225/75R15. I believe they have different offsets, which I still have no idea what that means.

Questions
1: Would these wheels fit correctly and not cause any damage?
2: What size tire would you suggest with these rims on the 2012 Sportage.
3: Are there any other concerns I should be worried with?

I am not worried about the TPMS, just ignore it during winter.
And, I also know that If i change tire size, the speedometer may be off.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. (I know this shows my auto ignorance, but I would rather learn about it before doing anything, than doing something wrong.)

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
15" rims most likely won't clear the brake caliper and brake disc rotor; minimum rim size should be 17".

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You could check them for yourself; easier to do before you fit the tyres. Remember that extra clearance may be needed at the front (bigger brake rotor). I found that I can use a 15" as an emergency spare on my normally 17" car, but only at the back.

Off-Set is variously defined, most usually how far off the mounting surface is off the centre-plane of the wheel. What you really care about is the "Back Space" of the wheel (i.e. clearance). Google "Wheel Dimensions Images" and you will get the idea.

If they fit, the effect on the speedo and odometer will be easy to calculate. There are lots of "wheel size calculators" on the Internet.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Stocks all season rims are 18", 16" rims for my winter sets. 15" might be pushing it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thanks. I was wondering if 15 would be too small.
I may ask the seller and see if I could just try them on.
($60 for a set of 4 rims/wheels. Figured i might try)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts