Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2004 Sorento EX. About 3 weeks after we purchased it, I noticed the drivers seat was rocking up and down. With a little pressure to the seat back, the front would lift about 1/4 inch. I took it to the dealer who replaced the seat rail. I picked it up and it was still rocking. When back to the dealer who ordered another rail. The dealer installed the new part and called to say that it was even worse than before. He was going to order a whole new seat. Just picked the vehicle up this morning. Again, the seat is rocking up and down. Only now it makes a loud clunking sound when it does it. The mechanic also scratched the door trim so they will have to fix that now too.

I believe our lemon law says the dealer has 4 tries to fix the problem so the next time will be real serious.

We love the vehicle but I don't think it is safe with the seat moving.

Has anyone else had problems with drivers seats?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had my car for 5 months now and have just noticed the divers seat clunks when i chage gear, when i put my foot on the clutch, so as you press down with your legg just under the knee it clunks ,it feels like one of the springs is hitting the framework of the seat and dont you just get p***d of when they dont look after your property it makes me so mad :angry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just took the Sorento back in this morning. The dealer had the Kia Rep come out to look into the problem. Talked to the dealer a little while ago. The Kia Rep told them that it is normal for electric seats to rock in a Sorento. Unbelieavable!!! :angry: I told the dealer to have some Sorento's with electric seats available for me to test. If they don't all rock, I'm going to leave the vehicle there and make them get me a rental until they get it fixed!

Isn't there a government agency that tests these vehicles. I can't believe that a seat that rocks and will eventually break loose can be considered normal or safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
NO SH*T

Seriously guys. My seat rocks too. Whenever I hit a left theres a little clunk sound. It makes the seat hit feel like its nudging to the right whenever I take a left

Do you guys get this too ?

If you look underneath the seat, would you happen to find a nut missing ?
Appearantly what looked like a screw with its threads sticking out from underneath the seat was supposed to be for the floors carpet.

Glad to know Im not the only one facing this problem. Probably came from the same batch of sorentos produced worldwide having a problem such as this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kia Rep said it was normal with Electric seats. I went to pick it up and told the service agent I wanted to try some other Sorentos with electric seats. Guess what? Not so normal. I was really pushing on the seat to get it to move. With both vehicles I tried there was no movement or clunk. Brought my vehicle back into the shop and they brought up another Sorento. Had the service manager come over and listen to both vehicles. He was shocked by how load the clunk was. Now we are trying to get the Rep to come to town and check it out in person.

When he does, I'll be driving a different vehicle until it is fixed or replaced.

Since I considered this Kia's 4th try to fix it, I'm going to invoke the lemon law. On Monday I'll get the letter ready and sent out to the dealer and the rep.

I also notified the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. If you have the same problem, file a complaint with them. When they get enough complaints, they will investigate and hopefully recall them.

Kia Consumer Department was surprised that I was going to invoke the lemon law and had called NHTSA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts