Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 Rondo, 2010 Camaro, 96 3000GT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son "borrowed" my wife's 08 Rondo for a few weeks at college and kind of trashed the seats beyond simply being able to be cleaned. My wife would like a nice new set of seat covers that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Lots of seat covers "claim" to fit the vehicle, but I've had bad luck in the past with seat covers actually snugly fitting other vehicles. Can anyone recommend a decent set of seat covers (front and rear) that fit nicely an 08 Rondo and don't cost a whole lot? Thanks. Bob

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
I would be VERY carefule using seat covers on your car. The air bags installed in the seat for side protection during a crash may not work well or worse be confined in such a way as to hurt the person sitting on that seat...
I'd rather a dirty seat and know that "if" an accident happens the air bags do their job...
If you find seat covers be sure they are designed to "tear" at the seams and allow the bag(s) to escape and protect.
Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
I remember seeing someone on these forums post their results with putting new seat covers on their Rondo, but I don't recall exactly the discussion title.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
My son "borrowed" my wife's 08 Rondo for a few weeks at college and kind of trashed the seats beyond simply being able to be cleaned. My wife would like a nice new set of seat covers that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Lots of seat covers "claim" to fit the vehicle, but I've had bad luck in the past with seat covers actually snugly fitting other vehicles. Can anyone recommend a decent set of seat covers (front and rear) that fit nicely an 08 Rondo and don't cost a whole lot? Thanks. Bob
let your son look after the problem, he caused the problem (he should except the responsibility), a professional cleaning detailer should be able to bring it back to new condition.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I don't know if you have the EX or the LX, but the LX seats come clean pretty easy. Some Resolve and a stiff-bristle brush, along with a Hoover Steam-Vac takes care of just about anything. I even got out dried blood (long story short, my dad takes Plavix, and didn't realize he was bleeding on a trip). I was pleasantly surprised, because the seats on my LX Sedona don't come clean anywhere near as easy. The Sedona's seats stay clean longer, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let your son look after the problem, he caused the problem (he should except the responsibility
He actually tried his best to clean it, and so did I after him. Coffee, soda and grimy sports equipment are the culprits. I find the cloth seats in the Rondo to be extremely poor quality in materials, especially the thin cloth on the backs of the seats. I can't see how a professional cleaning would do a whole lot better and there are also a couple of rips. My son feels bad enough already and has offered to pay for the seat covers or whatever we decide on. Bob

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Try "Awsome" in a spray bottle on the stains...You can get it at the Dollar Stores.It's formula is the same as the "original" Fantastic... For a buck you can't beat it...
Spray it on and use a toothbrush to work it in..Then use a wet/dry vacuum to suck it out.. I use our carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment... Then use clean water in a spray bottle and suck that out also...
When I got my 06 Spectra the seats and carpet were dirty and stained with "tar"... The seats are made of dark gray cloth also.
I used lighter fluid on the tar and dabbed the area with a clean paper towel making sure each time i dabbed I moved to a clean area on the towel.
Then I used the Awsome...then water... It ALL came out...
I did remove the whole interior carpet (removed seats, center console, trim) and washed it outside of the car (garden hose and hung over fence to dry)...but I really wanted the carpet clean... (i'm picky).
Be careful of the passenger lower seat cushion as it has a sensor to tell if a passenger is present. Too much of any fluid could damage the sensor.
There are side airbags in the seats also.
Dave

·
Registered
02 KIA Sedona LX, 09 KIA Rondo LX
31 Posts
I had a 02 VW GTI and was instructed not to get standard seat covers that you see in Walmart and anywhere elese because of the SRS airbags. If cleaning is beyond the help and you need to cover the seats.

I had a torn seat and to repair the seat was to replace the seat cover both upper and the seat cushion cover. Almost $1200 US dollars to do it, because of the airbags.

I purchased Coverking Custom Fit Seat cover from Costco; however, he is their website.

Car Cover, Seat Covers, Dash Cover, Floormats, Sunshields - Manufactured by Coverking

I have a 2009 Rondo, from what they're saying is for Two-Row Model Only, 60/40 split bench, w/3 removal headrests, NOT FOR VEHICLES WITH 3 ROWS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts