Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Sportage LX V6 4WD, 2011 Mack GU813 405M
62 Posts
the mechanism will just wear out, weakend springs etc. alot of seat belt on and off (short trips) will burn the spring faster. my 2011 mack already needs the belt fed back by hand for the last foot or so. my 2009 sportage seems ok, but i had a jeep yj years ago that had so much mud and dirt and shit in the roller that the belt would only retract to where i wore it, had to tuck in between the seat and the side of the tub when i got out.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
so, you are saying it is KIA's fault, that your dog is chewing your seatbelts off? Interesting

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
So the dog chews the part of the seat belt that is hanging out of the door? That actually makes sense. At first, I didn't understand it like that, either. My Sedonas and Optima all seem to have a pretty weak retracting mechanism. I have just gotten used to feeding the seat belt back in when I get out - it doesn't take much effort, just moving your arm in the direction of the retracting mechanism while holding the belt when removing it should be enough for it to do the rest on its own. Unfortunately, when other people drive the vehicles, I usually find the seat belt hanging out of the door. There are actually little dents in the door jambs from people shutting the door with the tongue-plate in it. It personally doesn't bother ME, but I can see how it would be annoying. If the belt gets twisted or turned in any way, it makes the problem 10x worse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you had an accident in your KIA and the retractor failed to operate, and you were injured because seat belt did not hold you, would you blame KIA for your injuries?
the part that retracts the belt and the part that LOCKS the belt in a collision only share the drum, the spring ( that pulls the belt back in ) could be very weak (like my yj), but the locks will still work (unless the teeth are stripped or something like that).

my point being, weak retraction should not (not a kia expert, but have spun MANY wrenches on other makes) detract from the function in the event of very hard braking/collision

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
the part that retracts the belt and the part that LOCKS the belt in a collision only share the drum, the spring ( that pulls the belt back in ) could be very weak (like my yj), but the locks will still work (unless the teeth are stripped or something like that).

my point being, weak retraction should not (not a kia expert, but have spun MANY wrenches on other makes) detract from the function in the event of very hard braking/collision

just my 2 cents
exactly. And no, I do not work for Kia. I own one, and realized before I ever bought it, that I was buying a cheap car. Kind of like a 69 Volkswagon, it has a purpose. I just for the life of me can not figure how a car manufacturer is responsible for your dogs behavior, or your lack of attention to your seatbelt hanging out the door. I guess it is McDonalds fault when you spill hot coffee on yourself, and it burns. Oh, we done been down that street. Maybe you should lawyer up, and sue Kia. It seems the more the ridiculous the claim, the more money one gets in a settlement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks GregsKia and j_martell for your inputs. Question, if instead of dents in the door jamb the tongue-plate broke and it cost you $350 to fix at the dealer while still under warranty would it bother you? And if it did it again and this time it cost you $480 at the dealer, while still under warranty?
If everyone is having problems with weak retractor springs why aren't we complaining? Maybe then KIA would fix them.
Warranties dont cover stupid.....if it has happend more than once, you should be on the look out. Open your eyes and use head,then let me know how it goes.

I dont have this problem with my kia (with 66000km on the clock), was simply making a point that it can happen to any make.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is no ones intent (i think). As mentioned in a previous post, even my 250000$roll off, the spring is going out, after only 80000km. The point i am trying to make is you KNEW it had gone once, and therefore, you (if you have ANY grey matter between your ears)would be on the watch to be sure it doesnt happen again.

A farmer i worked for had a simple motto: You cant fix stupid

What ever happend to natural selection and common sense

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
If you replaced it before, I do believe Kia has a warranty on genuine replacement parts. You may want to look into that. If purchased or installed at a dealer, there should be a record of it. I don't think it would be considered a "normal" wear item, so depending on time or mileage, they may replace it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts