Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX 3.3 V6 AWD
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden today my 2016 Sorento started chiming 6 chimes even though I was
wearing the seat belt and had it engaged.

I'm 70 and with arthritis, so at my wit's end on how to proceed. I know the
dealer will charge big $ to replace or repair it.

Is there anything short of calling the dealer to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
470 Posts
On my 2015 the manual says to remove the seat to access the seat belt switch. The switch has two circuits leaving it, 1- goes to the BCM to signal the chime and indicator, 2- the other to the Supplemental Restraint (SRCSM) module to tension & lock the belt (if sensed as connected) during a collision and also make driver side air bag deployment decisions (side, curtain bags). So one circuit is a nuisance and the other a safety exposure. The dealer can put a GDS tester on the car and read the status of all the SRCSM seat belt switch status. You may have a SRCSM DTC recorded if the line to SRCSM it is defective along with the chime warning. Not a typical DIY job, unless you have volt meter to check the switch out and desire to pull the seat. I do not recommend messing with the SRCSM unless you understand the air bag deployment system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will be contacting the dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update but not resolved yet.

I took the Sorento to my local dealer and they ran dignostics in several situations but all
tests came back with no errors (ground solid, etc) but the chimes continue. They called around
to other KIA dealers and then when no resolution, they contacted KIA and I left because they
said it could take hours or even days, before they hear anything back from KIA.

So it's a real isolated problem and I don't have it fixed/resolved yet. Will update
as I hear more. I'm between a rock and a hard place with this stupid seat belt chimes issue!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts