Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just while I'm here, one little gripe. I leave my seat belt off when reversing out of the drive, then if you're not quick enough the warning pinger starts pinging. When you click the seat belt in, it continues to ping intermitently for a couple of miles. The only solution I've found is to turn the engine off and re-start (or beat the pinger in the first place).
Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I'm missing in the manual that nobody ever reads? or should I just take it back to the dealer and get the cancel mechanism fixed!!
Suggestions gratefully recieved!! :blush:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Spud.
Firstly I don't recommend fiddling with the electrics - however, if you disconnect the white plug below the drivers seat - hey presto no pinging!. I also removed the small microswitch on top of the ignition switch to stop the pinging when the key is in the ignition. Mines been like that for a couple of months with no obvious effects on anything else. Do at your own risk off course. :)

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hi

Mine's the same, takes no notice if you finally put the belt on (late) and so you have to switch off and on, weird but true. I've actually thought about getting an extra "tongue" and leaving it in the car for use when I don't want my belt on (I'm often towing gliders around an airfield and need my belt off so I can keep up with what's going on). The idea of simply disconeecting under the seat is probably a good one but I don't know if that links into anything else like seatbelt pretensioners etc etc that could be a problem in a prang or something.

Cheers

Derek

PS: Just thought, you may be able to plug the passengers one in on your side while you're manouvering ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys,
you must have some failure in your electrics. My system works as suggested:
If I´ll start driving without seat belt, first warning indication is (at very slow speed) red light blinking on panel, no sound at all. When speeding over 20 km/h the pinging sound effect starts but stops immediatelly when putting belt in to the lock. Just the light blinks once or twice and stops, but the sound is off at once.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
9 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion,
I pulled the dash apart today and disconnect that darn annoying 'pinger' when the key is in the ignition and the drivers door is open. I know it's there for a reason but I would rather risk locking my keys in than not be able to have the stereo on and the door open when I'm parked on a riverbank somewhere.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The seat belt ping is a known issue. I am surprised that KIA did not issue a fix.

It is also difficult to demonstrate the bug to the dealer because you never know when it will happen.

·
Registered
Black Sorento 2005
15 Posts
My pinging seems to stop after about 6 secs whether I have bothered to finally put the seat belt clasp in or not. Even that 6 secs of pinging is starting to drive me mad though! My seven year old son who often sits in the back has noticed this and makes his own pinging noises just to wind me up even more! :grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
mines the same too. XSE Sorento 2005. IF you forget the belt early on occasionally it keeps on pinging even if you fasten it. Come on Kia fix it. Recall.Its obvioulsy a common fault.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts