Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So my GF's 2006 optima has a few CEL's I'm trying to fix. She has a few cylinders mis-firing, and her purge-solenoid isn't working correctly. At least thats what I remember from what the guy explained to me at Auto Zone.

He told me to run a can or two of Seafoam through a vacuum line to clean up the engine to see if that solves the problem before spending the full price at the dealer to get it fixed.

My question is which vacuum line is best to use? I used one that comes off the air filter hose into the engine and it did not work like i thought.... No smoke at all after I let it sit and started it back up.

If someone could help me out with a pic or good description it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
How about telling us what engine/transmission it has and the mileage on the car..
I would check the plugs and wires if the car has over 80~100k miles first.
The DO wear out and are usually the cause of misfiring..
Then I'd clean the IACV (idle air control valve) that is located in the big aluminum "tube" (throttle body) that the large rubber hose attaches to. Some choke/carburetor cleaner and a soft rag. Push the butterfly valve (round disk/flap in the throttle body)open and clean the valve and the surrounding area. This should make a big difference in idling and performance...
I'm not to hot on "seafoam cures" and would rather do physical clean/repair/replacements. If you are going to "add" a cleaner ...find Chevron fuel injector cleaner to the gas...Lots of great posts on it.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, I know its a V6 (not sure what liter), ATX, I think around 130k miles. I'll get right on those as soon as I get home later today and let you know what happens.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
I'd go for spark plugs and wires, and use NGKs...Check the gaps against the specs posted on the label affixed to the underside of the hood...
Replace the wires (if they still exist on a 2006) also while you are in there.

The back 3 plugs are hard to get at but with a little mechanical knowledge are not "bad". It requires that you remove the air plenum (2 or 3 hidden bolts behind the engine) along with the plenum bolts. Replace the gasket between the plenum and the front head while in there to keep air from leaking past and causing all kinds of idle and performance problems. You can lift and prop up the plenum high enough to gain access to the plugs and wires. I replaced the plugs and wires on my daughters 04 Sonata 2.7L V6 (same engine) at 115k and they really needed it. Yours is a newer model (2006). Hers is a 2001~2005 so there might be some differences.

It's worth doing it yourself ($$$). Check what a dealer wants for the job and SMILE when you get the job done (about 2hrs first time).

I got the plugs,wires, and gasket from rockauto.com... Best prices for Hyundai/KIAs and the are quick.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Oh..btw..
Get some carb/choke cleaner and remove the large air hose at the throttle body (large aluminum "tube". With a soft cotton rag and some plumbers flux brushes (Harbor Freight/Home Depot) clean out the inside and the butterfly (metal flap/disk). That will also make a BIG difference in how it idles and runs...
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts