Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX Ebony Black
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my TPS light on and checked all the tires. Filled one tire that was off a couple of lbs and light went off. Three days later it goes off again and so I decided to go to the dealer. They found a screw about 1"1/2 from the wheel wall and informed me that they couldn't repair it and I'd have to buy a new Kumho Solus KL21 235/60r18 mounted and balanced for $253.00. WTF! The tire has barely 3000mi on it. Do I have any other options? Opinions? Amazing what damage a 2¢ scew can cause!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,504 Posts
No one will plug or patch a hole that close to the side wall. It's a major safety hazzard!!!!! They are over charging you that's for sure! If you were in my Kia dealership, that tire would cost you $180.00 with $12 mounting and balance charge. The milage you have on your car has nothing to do with this repair. Other than getting a new tire, you have no options. Sorry. 18' tires are not cheap.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi EX 4x4 AT Black Pearl
32 Posts
The TPMS is monitoring the pressure by a sensor in the valve of the tire.Also the TPMS is measuring the dynamic balance of the wheel.When you put a rubber patch on a tire you unbalance the tire.You can balance the tire by adding small weights on the rims (in tire service) but if the hole in the tire is too big the rubber patch is also big .You have to compensate this unbalance by adding bigger weights on the rim.This is unsafe.You can end with big vibration , especially at high speed.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 Sorento SX AWD
39 Posts
WTF! The tire has barely 3000mi on it. Do I have any other options? Opinions? Amazing what damage a 2¢ scew can cause!
Kia Warranty Book said:
Tires
Tires are warranted by the tire manufacturers and not by Kia. In the event that you need assistance, please contact your Kia dealer or refer to the tire warranty pamphlets provided with your Kia Vehicle for details.
Read the Kumho Road Hazard Book, it should have some kind of information on prorated costs. Tirerack has the Kumho Solus sitting at 168.00/ea, so the 253.00 is a tad much.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX Ebony Black
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've called around all dealerships and local tire chains, the lowest quote $218. I know what the tire cost is but how can they justify a new extra $45+ for mounting and balance? Should I say something?

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
I've called around all dealerships and local tire chains, the lowest quote $218. I know what the tire cost is but how can they justify a new extra $45+ for mounting and balance? Should I say something?
i would the worst thing they can say is too bad or they can make it right as $45 is a little steep heck Sam Club charges $15 and it includes a hazard warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
If I was you I would spend for some good tires, for much less you can get much better tires for cheaper, a piece of course. And sell the old ones online. Those stock tires are truly garbage, probly part of the reason it flatted already. I would call around and get quotes to. Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
A patch plug from the inside is the preferred fix. However, no one said you couldn't plug it yourself with a push plug from the outside. You really have nothing to lose, except the 10 or so dollars for the plug kit. Worst case, it still leaks and you are back where you are now.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Be carefull before trying to patch or plug. If the hole is on the sidewall at all, forget it unless you believe you and any rider are not subject to harm! If it in the tread, at least 1/2 " inside either edge, then a plug can work fine without taking the tire off. Don't worry about the balance, the plug has not enough weight to matter. If not able to do that, you may have some used tire centers near you - see if they have one match up. With only 3000 miles on your tires, the cost effectiness to get an entire new set would be too great, in my opinion. I have 26K miles on mine and they show little wear. Look like a 75-95K miles tire. Definitely not the best but far from the worst.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've only ever had simple (screw/nail) puctures fixed with a combined plug/patch fitted and glued from the inside. Requires fit/balance, of course, so you wouldn't want to do it on an old tyre for the normal charge of about $40. I don't think external plugs are allowed any more in the Land of Oz.

I can't see why balance issues should be a problem.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
17 Posts
I replaced the cr*p original tires on our new 2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD with Toyo Versado CUV (mounted and balanced) for about 4x what you were quoted for a single tire. Much smoother, quieter, and grippier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts