Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2006 Sorento and I'm running into a problem. First we got the check engine light with a code of P0342. Next day my wife said it took a couple tries for the car to start but it finally did.
Since then we haven't had any problems. The check engine light even went off. Now this morning she calls me and says the Sorento won't start again. After a couple minutes she calls back and says it started finally but made a loud screeching sound after it started.
I changed all three belts this past summer. Could one be loose? I'm thinking the screeching noise is the belt slipping on the pully?

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
I have an 2006 Sorento and I'm running into a problem. First we got the check engine light with a code of P0342. Next day my wife said it took a couple tries for the car to start but it finally did.
Since then we haven't had any problems. The check engine light even went off. Now this morning she calls me and says the Sorento won't start again. After a couple minutes she calls back and says it started finally but made a loud screeching sound after it started.
I changed all three belts this past summer. Could one be loose? I'm thinking the screeching noise is the belt slipping on the pully?
The screeching could be a belt. It could be the A/C belt (defrost on, A/C on). Best to check the belt tension. The P0342 is Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input. Was the timing belt replaced recently or is it due? Suspect the camshaft sensor is not reading the tone wheel on the camshaft correctly and not pulsing the fuel injectors.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
We've had a couple of Ford Contours and Mercury Mistiques that had frozen AC clutches.
They put enough drag on the engine (4cyl) that they would not start. Bypassed the AC with a smaller belt and got another 40k out of the cars...
Tensioners, Idler pulleys, frozen AC compressors, and frozen water pumps can cause your screeching..
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts