Kia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX (Black Cherry), 2012 Piaggio Fly 50 4v (Midnight Blue)
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were getting back into the Sportage (3 weeks old!!!!) on Saturday and she shrieked and said to come look at the fender. What do I see? This.

It's a pretty deep scratch and it's white. As best I can tell I don't see actual metal, but it is definitely down to the primer.

Any experts? Seeing as the car is 3 weeks old I can't imagine paint matching will be an issue, but does the entire fender need to be removed/repainted? Or can a good body shop sand/buff it down and do a repaint of the small area? If so about how much should I expect (ballpark) to pay for either option?

If the entire thing needs to be painted I may get a paint pen and try my best at it since it won't matter in the long run, but I don't have time (vacations, etc) to get it fixed in the next few weeks and don't want to experience any rust. I know it will not be ideal, especially with the metallic flakes in the paint, but it's better than rust.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
*gasp* I would die if I saw that. Isn't it funny how the wife notices it and tells you to come quick and look... sounds a little fishy to me... ;)

Did your wife drive the car and not tell you one time? lol

all joking aside, that's terrible news. You could try the paint pen, no experience using it so I can't comment how well it will work.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
Sportage
10 Posts
Hi Sorry to see that but it looks worst than it probably is. A good body shop should be able to get that out but without painting the whole fender. I had a similar scratch on my old car and it was easily removed. I dont know how they operate where you are so I cant give you a price. Just to say sorry that has happened by some mindless idiot.

I can sympathise as I had my Sportage for two days and somebody opened their car door straight into my rear passengers door Luckily I had the touch up paint to cover it and its barely noticeable especially with the waterless cleaner I put on the car for protection

People can be such A Holes:(

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Looks like you've been keyed. What an animal act.

I once parked my car at the ferry terminal and as the ferry left the dock, I actually saw someone deliberately damage a panel on my car. Short of jumping ship, there was nothing I could do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like you've been keyed. What an animal act.

I once parked my car at the ferry terminal and as the ferry left the dock, I actually saw someone deliberately damage a panel on my car. Short of jumping ship, there was nothing I could do.
Yeah I assumed it was someone keying the vehicle based on the length, shape, and depth of the scratch. As you said, nothing I can do about it. Just hope I can't get away without spending too much cash to get it fixed!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
A paint pen won't work on something that big or deep. it will look worse than it does now. I tried on a much smaller ding (size of pencil erasure) and looked like junk. I ended up taking it in an having it done right, $400 later, looks great. But not cheap...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A paint pen won't work on something that big or deep. it will look worse than it does now. I tried on a much smaller ding (size of pencil erasure) and looked like junk. I ended up taking it in an having it done right, $400 later, looks great. But not cheap...
Ouch, $400... that's about what I was expecting... but was hoping for less! Sorry to hear about your woes, but thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
Ouch, $400... that's about what I was expecting... but was hoping for less! Sorry to hear about your woes, but thanks for posting.
The paint pens will work for small rock chips, but nothing big. It just doesn't look evened out and from what I saw, the paint doesn't match completely. I might have obsessed over it a bit, but I couldn't stand looking at it so I broke down and got it fixed the right way. Again, wasn't cheap, but man, looks like new again.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Check with your dealer - they all have access to a mobile 'touch-up' guy who can fix a lot of things - it's worth a shot. Otherwise any body shop can take care of it without removing any panels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your ideas/suggestions. I still haven't done anything with this year. Still upset when I look at it! :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks everyone for your ideas/suggestions. I still haven't done anything with this year. Still upset when I look at it! :mad:
Dear Drivers,

Special voucher offer of car Spray painting at affordable price of S$100 Nett only.
Limited pcs of Special Offer Voucher left!

Parts considering spraying will be bonnet, boot, car doors, front bumper, back bumper, side fender, spoiler and etc.

This is NOT a discount voucher, it is a voucher special offer for one whole service of car spray painting (no top up needed unless you have additional requests.

Other services for car dent panel beating, cracks patching & etc. are also available.

Please call me at 92986007 with delivery of voucher & Cash on Delivery.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
This is why I have a $100 comprehensive deductible :-/

I used to carry $500/$500 but recently lowered to $250 for collision and $100 for comp. so much easier to get little (or in this case big) things fixed that were not accident related.

Anyway, good luck. Paint pen as others mentioned wont work. That'll need to goto a body shop for full repair I'm sure...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh.... went to the same part of town, same store and now there is a scratch on the back of the car, same side. I parked in the back of the lot this time! I think someone there hates KIAs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts