Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Sportage 4x4, 1998 GMC Sierra , 2006 Chevy Silverado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new and would like to say this is a wondrful forum, lots of help here. Thank You.
But I am tired of running to town to borrow the scanner so would like to buy husband a handheld one for Christmas. Like I know what I'm doing:rolleyes:. I have found a Equus 3130 for $127.24(amazon) or actron /OBDII autoscan and tool CP9180 (auto zone) for $129.99...or is there a cheaper one that will do the same things. We have a 2001 Kia sportage, 1998 GMC sierrs and a 2006 Chevy Silverado but hoping for a newer car soon so want to make sure it is updatable and works for newer vehicles. I want it to tell him what to fix tired of guesing games. LOL
Thank You for any help.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I am not familiar with the Equus, but I have used some of the Actrons and not all of them work on Kias. I use a Mac ET80 for quick code pulls at work. Its quick, simple, and I haven't found anything it won't read. It gives codes/descriptions, erases codes, and gives emissions monitors data. It doesn't do ABS.

·
Registered
2001 Sportage 4x4, 1998 GMC Sierra , 2006 Chevy Silverado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Spongebob...I will check that one out. I imagine it's one of those tools that can't be returned if you open it and it won't work, so nice to know all Actrons won't work on Kia's.

OK I looked that one up http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MAC-TOOLS-ET80-OBD2-OBDII-CAN-Code-Reader-Tool-/170656403044 ( looks like a good price ?) I see it has the freeze data but does it have the live data (or is that the same thing)......I have read a lot of the remarks on the forums and seemed live data was a necessity??
I really appreciate any and all help..as you can tell I am WAY out of my league on this one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts