Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage, 2.0L automatic trans. 2WD, 2 door w/removable half roof
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
i've been lurking here a few days. ever since my wifes 2002 sportage threw the timing belt after the tentioner pulley blew out and i needed to know how to reset the timing. you guys were the only place on the net that came through and got it right.( i still can't believe that you have to eyeball it all at high noon with no timing marks) and so i figured i'd bite the bullet and go ahead and sign up.

let's start with the introduction of the vehicle, it's a 2002 kia sportage with the 2.0L with an automatic trans. two door with the half removable top. with the most god awful sparkly purple paint job you'd ever want to see.(can you tell i don't like the paint;) ) we bought this car?truck? used about 3 months ago and it's been a good used vehicle. it's got 130,XXX miles on it.

now for the questions that you have probably heard like 1,000 times. first off, is the timing really set by eyeball?? every other car i've had has had an alignment point for every gear in the system and they all had to be right on or the motor didn't function right.

is the poor thing really supposed to be at 3,000 rpm at 60mph/96kph (i think that i did the speed conversion right please corret me if i'm wrong) mine does. it just seems like the motor is going just a bit to high. most of my other cars have hovered in the 1500rpm to 2000rpm at the same speeds.

is there really a difference in the econ or power modes? the car doesn't drive any different in either mode. i do live in a hilly area so maybe that might have something to do with it.

and lastly for now, the platic windows on the removable top are starting to crack a little. any idea where to get new ones? or a whole new top kit??

thanks for any help. i'm sorry if i screw up the standard to metric conversions i'm here in the USA and i've noticed alot of you are in the uk and australia. so i'm trying to be as courteous as i can. but i haven't used those conversions since school 20+ years ago so i might be a little rusty.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Are you talking about the (interior) valve timing belt, or the external drive belt for the alternator, water pump etc.? If the latter, no timing procedure required.

3000 RPM does seem to be a bit high for 96.6 km/h. Transmission not locking up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
that's what it seems like it's doing. but that being said i didn't know how many gears the auto was supposed to have. i was just thinking that this thing might be geared low?

right now i have the front of the engine pulled off so i could replace the internal timing belt and tensioner pulley. from what i've read you just align the woodruff key (sp?) the I and the E all at high noon and put the belt back on and your timed. there's no way to get the tolerance closer than just eyeballing the 12 o'clock position?

once i get the car put back together i'll have to count gears and get back to you guys and see if it's sticking in gear.

sorry for all of the dumb questions. my wife bought this thing three weeks ago while i was at work one day. she saw it on the net,test drove it, fell in love, and bought it. i didn't find out till i cam home and saw it in the drive way. we dorve it to visit her sister in indiana, the tensioner pulley failed on the timing belt, it snapped on our way home. and now i'm playing catch up. so thank you all for being so patient while i try to figure this little suv out.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Check the operating temp 190/195 is normal. The temp coolant sensor will not respond to a cool running engine and not allowing the transmission to shift into 4 gear. If operating temp is normal than the sensor could be at fault ( common ).Its the two wire one on the left side of the thermostat housing .
Final drive ratio is 4.778:1
chief

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
paint the teeth of the old timing belt and also the pulleys with some thing like bright yellow paint. Then remove the belt and transfer the paint markings to the new belt (count the teeth between markings if you need to). Install the new belt with the markings matching the pulleys and you're done...
Dave
ps...
You'll fine a lot of us in the USA..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately when the tensioner pulley sef destructed it took the belt with it. not only did the pulley brake apart and go through the top timing belt cover, but it also stopped turning and melted the belt in two. :eek: that's kind of why it was easy to make a road side diagnostic.

kind of need to know, as it is the rainy season here in missouri. and the window cracks are now leaking bad enough that i have to replace the packing tape patches every time it rains is there somewhere to get new window inserts for the removable top? or a whole new removable section?? either after market or kia? thanks

·
Registered
97 sportage 06 forester XT
316 Posts
i have a 5 speed manual and it does 62mph at 3k rpm. im thinking of getting fidanza 94020 adjustable cam gears anyone confirm if they fit?

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
649 Posts
Yes they will fit. They are real pretty and you may get a few HP from them but depends what you're after.
Personally I want some more bottom end torque.
May just get an exhaust one.
UPYOURKIA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts