Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA RIO 5dr Hatchback, Model: EX, 1.4 CVVT Engine, A/T
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been using Shell V-Power for the past few weeks and I am very impressed with how the engine runs. However, traffic is worst in our country which means an increase in fuel consumption. We all know that Shell's V-Power offers a 97 RON. If I will use lower RON like 93, i.e., Shell's Super Premium, will I save fuel?

Just to add, I've tried the Shell Fuel Save which has a 93 RON but I have a rattling issue when I was using it (with V-Power, it's gone). But since this is Super Premium which I haven't tried, may be it will save fuel and will also not have those rattling sound at low speed.

Any thoughts on fuel saving?

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
V-Power is usually 97 or 98 RON not 95.
Under high traffic conditions, you won't notice much difference in fuel economy with various octanes.
If the others are both 93, there should be much difference between them. Why not test both?
Stick with the higher octane if you are happy with that and can afford the extra cost.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, it is 97 for V-Power. Now corrected.

Thanks Dr Bob for your comments.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX
22 Posts
I have started fueling up in the morning when its colder to get more "fuel" in the fuel

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX
22 Posts
Yeah it will not be much, but its one of the theories of fuel savings that i am trying.

Plan is 3 tanks of gas with only filling up the tank in as cold tempatures as i can get. I live in washington state, there is a 20 to 30 deg difference from 6am and 6pm. But like i said its the first theory i am trying. Once i hit 3000 miles I will be installing a K&N filter to test that.

It only took one tank of gas to realize that in this area with a mostly hilly commute, ECO mode is better in the off position for my commute and I have incresed fuel economy by 2mpg so far.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
I have started fueling up in the morning when its colder to get more "fuel" in the fuel
The Australian Institute of Petroleum once did an extensive survey of fuel delivery temperatures to see if any correction should be made. The maximum variation over the whole of the Australian continent was less than 1%, and it was concluded that this was insignificant. It's the tank temperature (usually below ground) that is more important than atmospheric temperature.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
I filled up my tank with Super Premium with RON 93. I noticed slight change in engine power but I am still happy with how the engine runs with Shell fuels. In worst traffic, I usually get an average of 15-19 MPG/L fuel consumption with V-Power; Now, I get 12-14 MPG/L with Super Premium. I guess I will stick with Super Premium for City Driving and V-Power for Highways.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX
22 Posts
Not sure about how "efficient" this is but in traffic I manually shift to 2nd. The car can idle up to about 5-10mph and I've seen 27 instant so that probably means 20 or so actual.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Update:
I filled up my tank with Super Premium with RON 93. I noticed slight change in engine power but I am still happy with how the engine runs with Shell fuels. In worst traffic, I usually get an average of 15-19 MPG/L fuel consumption with V-Power; Now, I get 12-14 MPG/L with Super Premium. I guess I will stick with Super Premium for City Driving and V-Power for Highways.
I'm not sure what scale you are using when you say MPG/L.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Either way, I would not be happy with the fuel consumption. Between 12-14 l/100km or 12-14 mpg would not be impressive for this car. That commute must be worse than the one I remember from LA.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
Update:
I simply do not believe your consumption figures. There's no reason that V-Power should such a high consumption (about 17 litres/100km, if that is the correct unit you are using); that's 14 MPG US! With the other fuel, you're getting 18 MPG. -Too wide a variation to be believable, with just a change in fuel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correction:
In worst traffic, I usually get an average of 15-19 L/100 consumption with V-Power; Now, I get 12-14 L/100 KM with Super Premium. According to the Kia Service Center, this is how to get the KM per Liter. For example, I get an average fuel consumption of 15 L/100 Km, I should divide 100 / 15 which gives me 6.67 KM / Liter. Any thoughts about my computation?

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Fill your tank. Set your trip meter to 0. Drive a bunch. At next fill record km's on trip meter. Record number of litres it took to fill.

To calculate your l/100km multiply the number of liters consumed by 100 and then divide by the kilometers driven.
The formula is:
L/100 km = number of Liters x 100 / number of kilometers.

It's possible your trip calculator in the car is faulty. The mileage you quote is pretty terrible.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
Correction:
In worst traffic, I usually get an average of 15-19 L/100 consumption with V-Power; Now, I get 12-14 L/100 KM with Super Premium. According to the Kia Service Center, this is how to get the KM per Liter. For example, I get an average fuel consumption of 15 L/100 Km, I should divide 100 / 15 which gives me 6.67 KM / Liter. Any thoughts about my computation?
The calculation is correct. You could also multiply the km/litre value by 2.35 for US MPG or by 2.82 for UK MPG.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will do this with my next fill and give updates... I only base those numbers on my trip calculator. Traffic is really terrible here so I don't think the my trip meter is faulty.

·
Registered
Rio EX 1.4L
3 Posts
I just got the 1.4L sedan 3 weeks ago and I have logged 1,100 kms already, most of which accumulated in the city. I am averaging 6.6kms to a liter only (pure city as i reset when i travel on the highway), and fervently hoping that this will improve as the engine achieves its "efficient" stage.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I just got the 1.4L sedan 3 weeks ago and I have logged 1,100 kms already, most of which accumulated in the city. I am averaging 6.6kms to a liter only (pure city as i reset when i travel on the highway), and fervently hoping that this will improve as the engine achieves its "efficient" stage.
How about we all agree to use the same scale shall we? The two acceptable scales are MPG (US), or L/100km. Since most of the world measures their distances in Km and sells their gas by the litre, L/100km seems the most universal.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts