Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2014 EX
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the car mileage improve if I remove the spare tire from Sorento 3.3 L?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento (run about)
169 Posts
I suppose lowering the weight would help obtain better MPGs. How much? It depends on how aggressive you drive, how much hills, etc. etc. Guess one could remove their spare tire for 1 month a compare their monthly average - compared to "with" onboard spare.

Note: My one vehicle didn't come with factory spare. Wish it came with one. Especially for my remote region - where a tow truck takes 3-4 hours onsite.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Sorento 2014 EX
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My regular 18 inch all seasons weight around 60lbs
This is alot of dead weight to carry on the suv. The spare tire would weight in the same range.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
119 Posts
I realize gasoline is expensive in Canada buy I’ll bet the difference in mpg would be almost negligible.

I went the other direction on my sons 2015 Kia Forte, it didn’t come with a spare so we bought a jack and a spare.

The worry of getting a cut or side wall blow out that couldn’t be repaired with Fix A Flat in a can or a tire repair kit and compressor was too much.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
I realize gasoline is expensive in Canada buy I’ll bet the difference in mpg would be almost negligible.
Exactly. My 2019 Sorento AWD SX tips the scales at a little over 2 tons. 60lbs represents a little over 1% of the car's weight. To get any noticeable change in mileage, you're going to have to shed a LOT more weight than that. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze in this case. Kinda like the dudes that put one of those "cold air intakes" on their car with a cheesy conical filter that lets more dirt into the engine on their car. They'll swear up and down they can "feel the difference," but tests will show that the best case scenario is low single digit horsepower on 200-300hp engine. And it only happens at WOT and only until it loads up on dirt (which it does significantly more quickly than a paper filter) and becomes more restrictive than the plain ol' boring paper filter element. Google "confirmation bias" and it explains many of the pissing matches on the interwebz about car performance. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
No spare

WOW. I got home and found my new KIA Soul has no spare or jack.....
and you folks actually talk about taking them out??

I've probably driven a million miles or so in the last 50 years, and a spare is one thing I would never be without, no matter how much it might help gas mileage.

My big complaint was not being told by the dealer. What if, like so many complaints I've now read on the net, I found out with a blown tire in the middle of nowhere. And yes, I've been there, done that.

But hey, if you are set on the idea of tossing out your spare, I'll take it :D

Now I'm off to locate a spare and jack......

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX-L, 2018 Stinger GT2
55 Posts

I've probably driven a million miles or so in the last 50 years, and a spare is one thing I would never be without, no matter how much it might help gas mileage.

My big complaint was not being told by the dealer. What if, like so many complaints I've now read on the net, I found out with a blown tire in the middle of nowhere. And yes, I've been there, done that.

But hey, if you are set on the idea of tossing out your spare, I'll take it :D

Now I'm off to locate a spare and jack......
Yea, a lot of vehicles now are coming with a can of fixaflat now instead of a spare. Our dealer orders them with the spare and doesn't charge for it.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,537 Posts

the TMK (tire mobility kit) became standard in the Soul with the G2 version in 2014, however with the 2020 G3 version they have gone back to the standard compact spare.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
614 Posts
Same here, Forte came with no spare, bought jack and using one of the winter tires as spare in summer and summer tire as spare when winter tires are on.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage EX, 2015 Kia Soul +, 2011 Kia Soul +
2 Posts
Taking the spare out is not worth the minimal change in gas mileage, if its even a noticeable difference over a years time. If you ever get a flat, you will wish you had kept it in there! The fix a flat is no good if you have a large hole or slice in your tire. Just the charges in getting towed will cost you way more than the savings in gas mileage.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rio5 SX m/t
26 Posts
I was curious about this, and it turns out that a spare tire only costs roughly $15 in gas per year (depending on what gas mileage you get). That's basically a dollar a month to have the peace of mind of having a spare tire, and I think that's pretty cheap.

"the weight of the spare tire, wheel, jack and tools reduce fuel economy throughout the vehicle's life. Sure, it may not be detectable on any one tank of fuel, but a 50-pound spare tire, wheel, jack and tools can reduce the vehicle's fuel economy by up to 1%. That means a 16 mpg SUV/light truck driven 150,000 miles during a 10-year lifetime would consume about 94 gallons of fuel just to carry the spare ($235 in fuel costs at $2.50/gallon). And even a more economical car that averages 35 mpg would still require 43 gallons of fuel during its 10-year, 150,000-mile lifetime ($107.50 in fuel costs at $2.50/gallon)."

·
Registered
2017 Forté 5 SX
93 Posts
Great discussion point. When negotiating the purchase of my 2017 Kia Forté I had them add a full size wheel and tire. In a perfect world with good roads a spare is unimportant; however, I do not live in that perfect location. Winter camouflaged pot holes are devastating to the minimal side wall tires.

I have mechanics perform a 5-tire rotation with every oil change. This way I know the state of spare tire. Two flat tires and a bent rim during first two years driving in NE Ohio.

Keep the spare and peace of mind.

NE Ohio USA
2017 Kia Forté 5SX 1600cc turbocharged 6-speed manual transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts