Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Sorento that has a serious satellite radio problem. The audio drops out all day long intermittently for as little as 3 seconds up to 20-30 seconds...with an "AQUIRING SIGNAL" message. From what I have been reading this is a very common problem with Kia owners. The dealer is telling me that the technicians say this is "normal operating function". That is a bunch of crap. I have had satellite radio in 4 vehicles and have NEVER had this problem. The dealer has replaced the unit once and it had the same problem. I have had it back again and now they are telling me there is nothing they can do...Kia corp. is telling them to do nothing. I am so disgusted with this situation! I bought a $40,000 vehicle where the radio doesn't work for pete's sake!!!!!!!!!!!I cannot believe that Kia does not stand behind there warranty...don't ever buy one if you want satellite radio!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
is the roof antenna screwed in tight?

read my signature line

·
Registered
661 Posts
You don't need to cross post...ony in the forum that applies.

From what i read, this doesn't appear like a common issue.

What do you mean by common...5 people, 10, 20?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 2014 SXL. So far a few times I have noticed loosing my signal for awhile. I would switch over to FM and then after a bit switch back and it would be on. I just assumed there could be satellite issues but I will monitor it more to see if it occurs more often.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have the satellite radio on all the time and no problems whatsoever. I don't even recall ever seeing an "acquiring" message. Once get past that initial short "loading" message and press "agree", reception is there and never lose it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a new Sorento that has a serious satellite radio problem. The audio drops out all day long intermittently for as little as 3 seconds up to 20-30 seconds...with an "AQUIRING SIGNAL" message. From what I have been reading this is a very common problem with Kia owners. The dealer is telling me that the technicians say this is "normal operating function". That is a bunch of crap. I have had satellite radio in 4 vehicles and have NEVER had this problem. The dealer has replaced the unit once and it had the same problem. I have had it back again and now they are telling me there is nothing they can do...Kia corp. is telling them to do nothing. I am so disgusted with this situation! I bought a $40,000 vehicle where the radio doesn't work for pete's sake!!!!!!!!!!!I cannot believe that Kia does not stand behind there warranty...don't ever buy one if you want satellite radio!!!!!!!
I have a 2012 SX that has the very same issue. There are numerous posts complaining about this very issue in the 2011-2013 models.

So seems like they did not correct this issue with the 2014 models...that's quite unfortunate.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wonder why there is no consistency; perhaps that is why there has been no fix. I suspect that if "the problem" had been widespread, "something" might have been done. I have also wondered what if any difference there is between the screw on antennas such as the sorento versus the low profile fins.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
from the comment by the OP:
From what I have been reading this is a very common problem with Kia owners

I don't subscribe to satellite radio, but at present its free for two weeks which they seem to offer every few months. When I have used it, I've had no problems, but the quality of the broadcast is nowhere near as good as my local FM stations. I prefer my own collection stored on the Jukebox on on a flash drive in the USB port.

I have the screw-in roof antenna like the Sorento.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No problems here on my '14 SX. What exactly did the dealer replace? If they've replaced the Head Unit I would make them replace the wiring to the antenna and the antenna itself. Signal Issues could because by a pinched wire, exposed wire shorting against the body, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We listen to satellite radio about 75% of the time. Seeing this thread, it does seem that my signal drops more frequently in my 2014 than it did in my 2011. It happens on tree covered roads, and I had just chalked it up to denser tree growth this year with our wet winter and spring. It also happens in my Optima, so it may be just a shortcoming of satellite service - just like satellite TV has interference problems (no matter what they say).

I will be monitoring this discussion further, because it is getting more annoying. Any tech types that can shed some light?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can cross post so EVERYONE can see the problem. And it IS common read on mcduff.....I read at least 30 posts with the same problem. Do you work for KIA??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is not a satellite probelm...don't let KIA try to fool you with that line. I have had 4 vehicles with satellite and NEVER had this issue. I can be in our driveway and my radio will go out and my husbands vehicle will not. This is a KLIA issue that apparently several service managers are aware if but don't know how to fix. I am so disgusted with this vehicle already and have only had it 2 months. It is so annoying when I am in it all day working...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ahve suggested exactly that and they REFUSE to try anything else. He claims the regional service tech told him this is normal and to do nothing else. Can you believe that?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Acquiring signal problems are as bad with my 2014 Sorento as it was with my 2011 Sorento.

It has been adressed on the 2011-2013 Sorento forum and the problem had been apparently identified to a limited buffer memory of the radio system.

If it is true the only solution would be Kia to improve the radio hardware and it has not been done on the new 2014 Sorento.

Some others said that thier antenna had been changed and it resolved the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Sorento 2014. My satellite signal was bad a few weeks ago, but has improved since then. The weather was bad at that time as well. Probably like satellite tv when the weather is bad or trees block the signal. My Gps will lose its signal on my camper when I am in heavy trees on my portable Garmin. Oh well, I have regular radio and cd if needed. Just like pushing the agree on the touch screen when I start up the car. only takes a touch.. no big deal

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been having the same problem with my 2012 SX. My case with Kia Customer Service has been escalated to the point where the next step is to have the antenna replaced. I have been driving the car all over the state to see if the problem is isolated and it doesn't appear it is. The signal drops out intermittently 5 to 10 times a day, and usually within 3 to 5 minutes of the first drive of the day. It is very frustrating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Satellite Radio Issue

I have a 2014 Sorento and the Satellite radio goes out often as well with multiple acquiring signal indicators. It can go out up to 6-7 times in a 15 minute drive up a road that has no tree's blocking the reception and the sky is clear blue. It goes out when I am stopped at a stop sign, when I turn the corner or just driving up a street or on the highway.

Kia dealer says they can't replicate the problem even when I took a technician for a ride and replicated the problem for him. Kia customer service basically told me I didn't know how to work a radio and won't fix it because the dealer says there is no problem and the radio is working as intended. First Kia vehicle I have owned and may be the last. Kia should live up to their warrenty on the vehicles they build.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
34 Participants
rickster992
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing