Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one thing I don't understand. Consumer reports rates the 2016 Hyunda Santa Fe with the V6 engine as below average, yet rates the new 2016 Sorento with the same V6 engine as far above average. How can that be? I seem to recall the Santa Fe being rated very high by consumer reports last year and I was surprised to see it now below average. Why wouldn't the same thing be true of the Sorento?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments. I am a Honda person, so even thinking of considering either of the vehicles is a really big decision.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
650 Posts
Are they just ranking the engine? There is a lot more to the vehicle than just the engine. They may use the same engine but they are far from the same vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they just ranking the engine? There is a lot more to the vehicle than just the engine. They may use the same engine but they are far from the same vehicle.
From my experience it's the engine that drives the majority of reliability issues, but true, I do not know.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
Consumer Reports just specifies the specific vehicle tested, as mentioned there is more to it than just the engine as their rating is not solely based on that feature alone.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
650 Posts
You would think they would be rated similar since they do share several things in common but yet there are enough differences to make each unique. Both the Sorento and Santa Fe are top in their class for initial quality by JD Power (fewest problems in first 90 days) but the Sorento is also a IIHS top safety pick and the Santa Fe is not. The Santa Fe only gets a marginal rating in the small front overlap test.

I think if you research issues online you will find most problems people are having with vehicles from any manufacturer these days are no longer usually engine and transmission problems, but problems related to convenience features, electrical, etc. The Soul we bought in 2012 and the Sorento I bought last year have been the most reliable vehicles I've ever bought. It was over 4 years before the Soul had an issue and it was covered under warranty and I have had no issues with the Sorento. All other new vehicles I've owned were usually at the dealer several times during the first year for issues.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL 2.0T
36 Posts
There are couple things to note.

1- Parts make it first to hyundai and then to kias. For example, the 2.0t engine has been used in Santa fe forever whereas it was just introduced in the sorento. You could technically say that for everything in the car. I saw a review comparing the k900 to Genesis. The cars are both based on the same platform but the k900 is differently put together. The Genesis is actually "newer" design.

Bonus: Look at the Tucson redesign was a like year ago whereas the sportage was done now.

2- cars are usually worst the first model or models they come out. What I like about the Kia is that by the time parts cross to Kia they have been tried and tested in hyundais

3- One thing I was pointed out a while ago is that, between Kia and hyundai, Kia is the more luxury brand. (not quite full luxury of course). But imagine like GMC vs Chevrolet. It's not Cadillac, but just slightly above the other. Just have to compare materias and even price points. The SXL models always have better materials than hyundai and therefore are more expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts