Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2WD Manual 2002
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Some of you may remember my recent post about the turn signals not working. Well, turns out that was the least of my worries. In response to a nagging check engine light, (with the following codes: P0326 P0171 P0128), I took my Kia to an auto repair shop for an estimate.

After all, with an upcoming emissions test, I thought it prudent to have a tailpipe re attached after the last one fell off on a windy highway. Turns out aside from the engine problems and electrical challenges, I have serious radiator, suspension and brake issues. The dealer didn't even want the work and told me straight up not to put another dime into the ride. Driving around with the heat on full blast (to keep the engine gauge a little below the top H spot) in 90 degree weather is no picnic either.

Too bad though, it looks peach from the outside, and the new tires sport it up. So rolling this box of bolts to a car shop, any advice on how to maximize any salvage potential this puppy has left?

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Not on this forum I don't think so. That is if you had to take it to the dealer just to reattach a tailpipe... You have a cooling system problem that if you can fix would probably increase trade-in value, but we don't know what the conditions are when it overheats so we can't help there...

Can you tell us what you have done so far in terms of addressing the overheating issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum. No worries, unfortunately I just don't know enough about auto mechanics to address the cooling issue, as far as I know it's a radiator leak. I just figured even in this broken down condition (it still runs for now) I could maximize some sort of value for it. Any advice is welcome, thank you for reading!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Depending on how rigorous your road authority is about testing brakes etc., I think the brakes/suspension issue is your major problem as far as expense goes. Where do you live?

If you just want to keep the car going for a while, a reconditioned radiator might be the go, assuming that you are correct about the leaking radiator. A small leak doesn't cause overheating until you've lost a significant amount of water, so you might actually have a blocked radiator, bad thermostat, or water pump issues. Also, if the radiator has been leaking and only topped up with water (rather than coolant mix), that will have accentuated the problem.

The car may be of interest to someone with the time, energy and skill (and a few spare parts) to make a cheap runabout, maybe even a "farm thrasher". If it's mobile without overheating, that will help sell it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
Unless there is major frame problems you will find posters here willing to guide you in repairing your "older" Sportage...Brakes, cooling system, even moderately hard engine problems have been repaired and these workhorses have been returned to the road...Get a second opinion if your really like the car.

You said "I have serious radiator, suspension and brake issues."
I/We have seen all of the above "problems". The overheating may be a bad fan clutch ass'y, Suspension problems are cured often here with bushing replacements and struts, and even bigger brake problems (rusted brake lines, bad rubber hoses, disks, drums, master and slave assy's are usually repairable... Sound like the "Dealer" doesn't want to get their hands dirty and would rather sell you a new Sporty..
Dave

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hello all,

Some of you may remember my recent post about the turn signals not working. Well, turns out that was the least of my worries. In response to a nagging check engine light, (with the following codes: P0326 P0171 P0128), I took my Kia to an auto repair shop for an estimate.

Turns out aside from the engine problems and electrical challenges, I have serious radiator, suspension and brake issues. The dealer didn't even want the work and told me straight up not to put another dime into the ride. Driving around with the heat on full blast (to keep the engine gauge a little below the top H spot) in 90 degree weather is no picnic either.

Too bad though, it looks peach from the outside, and the new tires sport it up. So rolling this box of bolts to a car shop, any advice on how to maximize any salvage potential this puppy has left?
-If- you are willing to take on some of the repairs yourself, -and- the condition of the -frame- is good/intact, you are at the right place / we are happy to help,

otherwise the dealer may have been trying to save you $$$ ...

*Really need to have the (underside) of the Sporty checked to verify frame & cross-member integrity before proceeding: if any issues or areas suspect, the $$$ to repair, with the other issues stated, may well exceed the value of the vehicle,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the responses, I appreciate the advice.

Its a 4 door 2WD, manual transmission 2002 Sportage.

I live in the Baltimore, Maryland area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts