Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Niro EX Premium PHEV
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I traded in the Sportage SX, and got a 2021 Niro EX Premium PHEV
Given current gas prices it was time to make a switch to something much more frugal on fuel
The Sportage was a reliable vehicle, but I figured it was time at 100,000 miles to turn it in while the value was still good. Got 14,000 on trade for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI FWD
56 Posts
Given current gas prices it was time to make a switch to something much more frugal on fuel
The Sportage was a reliable vehicle, but I figured it was time at 100,000 miles to turn it in while the value was still good. Got 14,000 on trade for it.
Congrats. You made out pretty good on your trade in. Good luck with the Niro!

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
247 Posts
I think we're all going to have to go that route soon. If you do a cost comparison to run, let us know if you think it's more expensive or less to run.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,764 Posts
Whether a PHEV is cost effective depends on your situation. If you drive a lot of miles and your gas prices are high, it could easily pay out. However, if you are retired like me, and drive very few miles, it is far more expensive. You pay more when you buy the car plus people forget the cost of electricity in charging the vehicle. I have a neighbor who has a plug in hybrid, and his electricity bill grew by $30 per month. If you calculate your true cost, you need to take into account the premium you pay for that technology, the extra cost for electricity, and the decrease in costs for gas. For most people, if you actually calculate the money you save in gas, it is far less than you might think. Whenever I've done the calculation for me, the overall cost for buying a hybrid or EV doesn't have a payback for at least 7 years -- and I don't keep most of my cars that long. There is, of course, the environmental argument. But any car with batteries also has an environmental impact during the manufacturing of those batteries.

Personally, I will probably move to an EV for my next SUV purely for convenience. I do have solar so my cost for electricity is much less. But I'm a tech nerd and want those tech things.... I do not expect a monetary payback, however, for doing that.

Reactions: 2MD

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do drive quite a bit so the savings will add up fast. Also, the price isn't really that much higher if you stop and think about it. The Sportage I purchased had an MSRP of 36,000 and the Niro EX Premium PHEV was MSRP 37,800

That's not that far apart. I figured out the math on this, the Niro even in gas hybrid mode gets nearly twice the gas mileage the sportage did. As far as charging the PHEV battery, it's 8.7KWH to charge it, at my rates that means charging the battery from flat to full will cost me about $1.20 a day.
Granted, I won't do all EV driving, but that 26 to 30 miles per day of electric use is a lot less expensive than the same distance on gasoline alone in my old Sportage or in the new Niro on gas mode.
I drive around 100 miles a day, so I am confident it will be worth it for me.

Now, there are some things I gave up getting out of the Sportage. The Sportage sits higher up, so getting in and out is a bit easier. Also the Sportage SX had loads of power, and the Niro PHEV isn't quite as strong. The Hp is only 136 and torque I believe is 195. So it is adequate to get around, but not snappy like the Turbo 2.0 in the Sportage.
The infotainment system has improved quite a bit, and the Harman Kardon in the new Niro is definitely superior to the one in the Sportage. Also, the smart cruise control and lane keeping are really nice features.
So, for me it will be a good choice. On gas the Niro PHEV is 50 Mpg City, and 43 Mpg highway.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There's a huge 'other shoe' that's going to fall; as more and more EVs are sold, less and less gasoline is going to be needed. Place after place will take out the gas pumps and put in charging stations - refineries will slow down, then shut down. Gas prices will go up and up. There will be a point where you cannot give away a gas car or afford to drive it. That's why I'm going to keep my '17 Sportage. I figure it will last until I get to the point where I'm not driving anymore - or, to the point that it no longer has any value and the gas problem gets bad and I'm still driving. At that point I guess I'll have to get an EV. I also believe this is going to happen a lot faster than many of you might think.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
565 Posts
We just got rid of our 2017 Sportage EX for a 2021 Seltos.......and last week we traded that back in for a 2022 Sportage Nightfall.

Good luck with the Niro.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a huge 'other shoe' that's going to fall; as more and more EVs are sold, less and less gasoline is going to be needed. Place after place will take out the gas pumps and put in charging stations - refineries will slow down, then shut down. Gas prices will go up and up. There will be a point where you cannot give away a gas car or afford to drive it. That's why I'm going to keep my '17 Sportage. I figure it will last until I get to the point where I'm not driving anymore - or, to the point that it no longer has any value and the gas problem gets bad and I'm still driving. At that point I guess I'll have to get an EV. I also believe this is going to happen a lot faster than many of you might think.
I am not quite so sure that will be the case, eventually maybe.
Right now, there are 3 times as many hybrids / PHEV that pure EV out there on the road. HEV and PHEV are definitely having more impact than pure EV right now, but over time it will change.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I do drive quite a bit so the savings will add up fast. Also, the price isn't really that much higher if you stop and think about it. The Sportage I purchased had an MSRP of 36,000 and the Niro EX Premium PHEV was MSRP 37,800

That's not that far apart. I figured out the math on this, the Niro even in gas hybrid mode gets nearly twice the gas mileage the sportage did. As far as charging the PHEV battery, it's 8.7KWH to charge it, at my rates that means charging the battery from flat to full will cost me about $1.20 a day.
Granted, I won't do all EV driving, but that 26 to 30 miles per day of electric use is a lot less expensive than the same distance on gasoline alone in my old Sportage or in the new Niro on gas mode.
I drive around 100 miles a day, so I am confident it will be worth it for me.

Now, there are some things I gave up getting out of the Sportage. The Sportage sits higher up, so getting in and out is a bit easier. Also the Sportage SX had loads of power, and the Niro PHEV isn't quite as strong. The Hp is only 136 and torque I believe is 195. So it is adequate to get around, but not snappy like the Turbo 2.0 in the Sportage.
The infotainment system has improved quite a bit, and the Harman Kardon in the new Niro is definitely superior to the one in the Sportage. Also, the smart cruise control and lane keeping are really nice features.
So, for me it will be a good choice. On gas the Niro PHEV is 50 Mpg City, and 43 Mpg highway.
Wow only 8.7 per kWh. In MA mine is .25 cents per kwh

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV EX
4 Posts
Congrats! I've been driving my Niro EX PHEV for 6 months, and I love it! Cheers!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,764 Posts
Same here with 2017 Sorento! I don't drive a lot of miles (retired), have 47K mileage, and get good mpg.
Man, you guys drive a lot!!!! I have 23K miles on my 2017 Sportage EX.... and that's my high mileage car. My other one is a 2018 and that has 4500 miles on it... I'm still getting rid of it 2 years from now and probably giving it to one of my kids/grandkids...

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
149 Posts
Man, you guys drive a lot!!!! I have 23K miles on my 2017 Sportage EX.... and that's my high mileage car. My other one is a 2018 and that has 4500 miles on it... I'm still getting rid of it 2 years from now and probably giving it to one of my kids/grandkids...
I drive 40,000 mi/yr. Sooo sick of it. I either need to move or find a job near me. ;)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty amazing that you got 14K out of a Sportage with 100K miles. I know used car prices are high but wow! Hope you have just as good luck with the new car.
I see them listed for 18k to 19k for 2017 SX with 80k to 90k miles on them. Mine was in very good shape.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a follow up to this thread. I have been driving the Niro now for about 2 months. My overall average MPG so far is 74.5 mpg. that's really great compared to the average I was getting in the sportage.

Reactions: SSportage

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,188 Posts
Just a follow up to this thread. I have been driving the Niro now for about 2 months. My overall average MPG so far is 74.5 mpg. that's really great compared to the average I was getting in the sportage.
I haven't really checked out the Niro but how is the storage space compared to the SX? Also, have you tested the range on a full charge? I went by a few dealers last Sunday and there were no new cars on the lot.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
They're all in containers on ships out in CA. Those ships must be moving now because I'm seeing more trucks every day, I sat and waited for a train that had hundreds of containers, and local stores such as home centers are re-stocking big time.
I'd say if you don't have an emergency, just bide your time - the cars will come and the prices will drop.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't really checked out the Niro but how is the storage space compared to the SX? Also, have you tested the range on a full charge? I went by a few dealers last Sunday and there were no new cars on the lot.
It might be a little bit less. To be honest I don't see much difference myself. The main difference is it sits lower to the ground, so you step up to get out, instead of just step out.

Reactions: SSportage
1 - 20 of 24 Posts