Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken my 2004 Sedona to the Kia dealer having received a letter from them about a safety recall. It says that “There is a possibility that the grease cap on the rear wheel hubs may allow moisture to enter the wheel bearing. This could result in premature wear and eventually failure of the bearing”.

I received the letter a month ago and thought I would let the ‘rush’ go first before I took mine in. Imagine my surprise when my dealer told me that they have 20 odd Sedona owners who are waiting to have their vehicles checked out!!!!

The reason I was given really shocked me. The dealer told me that Kia would not supply the parts!!! They are on ‘Back order’ and we will all just have to wait until they arrive.

It seems a juvenile way to run a business. Why send out letters before they have the parts to rectify the fault? Has anyone else received the same treatment?

Kirky

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Murphwiz, they obvoiusly haven't reached Newcastle up here in the frozen north yet. I think it's shameful.

Kirky

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
I don't think our 03 models were part of the recall, I'm sure Murphwiz posted a thread up with the chassis numbers involved.

Wanders off for a quick search.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Found it, here's the gist courtesy of Murphwiz of course.

Rear bearing recall VIN range:
Sedona models produced between 24/06/03 and 29/10/04 which are equipped with factory alloy wheels are subject to this recall (5642 vehicles).

KNEUP751246496788 to KNEUP751256677905

KNEUP751346498245 to KNEUP751356678431

So check your chassis numbers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just for information: I took my sedona in and had both rear wheel hubs replaced. The garage also informed me of another safety recall on the fold down trays behind the driver and passengers seats which they took care of at the same time - don't ask me what though that was about though - it was a shoe shopping day that day :)

Fiona
:) smile across the miles :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Seat back table guide recall.
The lower mount that supports the seat back table can break, so a batch is being replaced. Replaced loads at PDI time, and a few have been broken already!

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Took 7 days from diagnosis for my bits to arrive (New Hubs). Should be sorted sometime next week.

Was watching a techy replace some today. He was using a bl00dy great hammer to knock them off..

Anyone heard about steering rack replacements? Mate had his done when he complained it was pulling to the left, he was told at the time that they replace the racks only if the owner complains....as it is a known problem :haha:

·
Registered
34 Posts
My rack was replaced ay 57k miles when I bought the car.

A Kwik Fit chap told me that Kia had admitted they weren't strong enough for the job - can anyone confirm this rumour?

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Mate did say the Kia guy that dealt with his claim mentioned that KIA are aware that there is a problem but it is not serious enough to warrant a safety recall and that they will only replace them if the owner complains of pulling or sloppy steering.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hubs...
Cannot believe they haven't got them in stock!
Recall parts are automatic issue.
You need a hammer to remove the grease cap to inspect the bearings, and a hammer comes in handy to get the brake drum moving should you need to replace the bearings.

Wouldn't believe anything a kwik fit chap tells you, there is no known problem with the steering racks, not something I'd class as common replacement.

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well everyone. I started this thread and I have been very interested in the replies but I have to say that two weeks later, KIA in Gateshead still do not have the hubs in stock!!

What should I do Murphwiz, you are the expert?

Cheers

Kirky

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Car booked in for Tuesday for work to be carried out exactly 7 days from diagnosis :banana:

Simon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Too received the recall notice way back several months ago. about the rear wheels and still have not been called by the dealer to have them replaced. They told me that apperently there was a labor strike in Korea and couldn't get the parts. Now I don't know that is true but how can I have a proper working vehicle when the mfg. does not care after the sale. very dissapointing.

Is like I tell every body I know we now have a disposable car, think about it the Kia Brand is very inexpensive as a whole in 5 years when it's time to buy another vehicle what do you think you are going to get for it. better to give it to charity then try to sell it.

Oh my vehicle is Kia Sedona EX 2005 with 7000 miles. It's got everything you can ask for but chocked on the lack of milage and company response to recall.

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
716 Posts
I worked for Nissan Corp for many years. Sounds like your beef should be with your dealer and not Kia Corp. It is your dealer that is letting you down so look up Kia Corp's customer service number in your owner's manual and give them a call to complain if your dealer fails to correct your problem. You can also contact your state attorney general's office to lodge a complaint. Many times at Nissan we had to backhand a dealership for letting things fall through their fingers and by that time a customer is usually so angry they turn against the brand.

I own a 02 Kia Optima and have an excellent dealer who has stayed up-to-date on recalls and such. When I had 2 recalls in the past 3 years, the dealer was quick to get thngs resolved. I will buy another Kia any day over a Nissan. Quality is in the eyes of the owner. Sorry you feel let down by Kia. No brand is perfect. People are people and they let each other down. Hope things work out for you soon.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Job was done today while I waited, they just replaced the seals / caps and got a free cup of tea :) and had a sit in the new sportage. Took 20mins in all.

av4av
Here in the UK we have had to contact the dealer, it said so on our recall notice and gave a list of all the local dealers that will carry out the work. Its no use waiting for them to contact you. Get on that phone. :gunsmilie:

Simon

·
Registered
4 Posts
From your post, it sounds like you just received your letter a couple months ago. I live in Illinois in the US and received mine back in April or May, I believe. That should explain why parts have been on back-order - they have been filling those orders for months. I don't know why you didn't receive your notice until recently, though. Of course, many people like myself have waited until now to have it done - now that it's getting cold. However, my dealership didn't have any problems taking care of the recall work and had the parts on hand. I hope your experience with KIA is better in the future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts