Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took possession of our Canadian SX last Saturday. Manual states that when the power liftgate meets resistance when opening or closing, it will reverse. Ours does not seem to reverse. It hit my partner on the back of her head and continued to close; she was eventually able to get out of the way. I am in process of trying to find out about this but wondered what the experience of others is.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
It does state "if the resistance is weak such as from an object that is thin or soft, or the tailgate is near the latched position, the automatic stop and reversal may not detect the resistance."

And Warnings: "Never place any object or part of your body in the path of the power tailgate as it is operating. Doing so could result in personal injury or damage to the vehicle"

"Make sure there are no people or objects around the tailgate before operating the power tailgate"

you could try a more substantial object to test its resistance operation, maybe something like a cardboard box.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The substantial object was my partner's head. You would think an impact to the top of the head would be sufficent to trigger a reversal, never mind ongoing pressure forcing her head down. There was insufficient room between the back of the car and the garage door to readily get out of the way after pressing the close button. She eventually did manage to get out of the way. Subsequently,I tried to stop the liftgate with my hands, trying to either hold it up or stop it from opening. The tailgate overcame the heavy pressure I applied to stop it and kept on closing or opening.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
It takes significant resistance to stop my Sedona's power tailgate. Just hitting you in the head isn't going to stop it. It is good to learn where the pinch strip is. pinching the strip will automatically reverse it. Why was your partner's head underneth it when it was closing....were you just trying to test it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She had reached up to hit the button to close the liftgate, planning to back up out of the way. But the back of the car was too close to the closed garage door for her to fit between the closing liftgate and the garage door.
I later tried very hard to stop the lift gate from closing or opening and could not stop it.
I would think it ought to be like garage door openers which don't take much to get them to stop and reverse. I can imagine examples of closing the liftgate from the front seat not realizing that one of your kids is standing back there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would get it checked out at the dealer. I test drove one, and my friend actually stood under the liftgate, and let it come down on his head to test it out. It pushed down a little before it stopped and went back up, but certainly not enough to injure him in any way.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
She had reached up to hit the button to close the liftgate, planning to back up out of the way. But the back of the car was too close to the closed garage door for her to fit between the closing liftgate and the garage door.
I later tried very hard to stop the lift gate from closing or opening and could not stop it.
I would think it ought to be like garage door openers which don't take much to get them to stop and reverse. I can imagine examples of closing the liftgate from the front seat not realizing that one of your kids is standing back there.
I, too, noticed this with our Canadian SX. The really dumb thinking in my mind is that the pinch strip only reverses, instead of stopping it. Whereas the button inside actually stops it in position. Terrible engineering if you ask me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I, too, noticed this with our Canadian SX. The really dumb thinking in my mind is that the pinch strip only reverses, instead of stopping it. Whereas the button inside actually stops it in position. Terrible engineering if you ask me.
Hi,

The Liftgate system has been designed by keeping in mind the User and the system safety.

Pinch strip reversal - Assuming the pinch strip would get pressed by an object that would more likely be human hands/fingers, the Liftgate reverses to immediately release the pressure off the object to prevent any injuries.

Tailgate stopping on button press:
Over head console POWER button - This button has been provided to switch the Liftgate mode from Power (automatic) to Manual (like a non-Power liftgate) mode. This button helps the user to disable Liftgate Power operation in case of emergency when user learns of any object or human is in the closing path of the Tailgate. It aborts the Liftgate operation.

Over head console LIFTGATE button - Liftgate will start operating by beeping twice to warn the user that Liftgate is operating. Stopping/aborting the current operation is also possible with this button. The stopping feature considers that user intentionally wishes to stop the Liftgate.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts