Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Red Kia Sportage
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased the new 2012 Sportage last Wednesday and drove it to LA that Friday for almost 400 miles and back yesterday. What problems, if any, does this pose for my new car? Thank you all! :)

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,812 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Absolutely no risk - what sort risk did you have in mind ?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Provided that the fluids were OK before and after the trip, your Sportage is now "broken in" as they say. Assuming you went down the coast, you would have been driving under a variety of conditions which would have been good for the new engine.

It's recommended to keep the RPM between 2000 and 4000 when the engine is new, and unless you are driving very erratically, you'll keep within these limits on the highway without worrying about it. I gradually widen the RPM limits up to the first service, again checking fluids and for any sign of overheating. After the first service, well... "Let 'er rip"!

·
Registered
557 Posts
The only risk I know of was on your trip; a new car is unproven. A breakdown within 400mi would strand you in LA. A new car should certainly be capable of a long drive.

·
Registered
Sportage 2011 G3 SilverBlue
86 Posts
Hi there,

I got my sportage 2 weeks before doing a 6000 km. trip (aprox. 3800 miles), I asked my dealer whom I know and he told me to go for it.

I took the trip and only problem I had was a flat tire which happened about 60 kms from home !!!...a big screw !!...and that was it !, perfect ride all the way and still enjoying it very much.

Rgds.
Victor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts