Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento KX3 2017
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have just purchased a 2017 Sorento KX3 with just under 14k on the clock.

A few days after taking delivery I noticed that all four brake callipers were showing signs of corrosion so yesterday I took the car into my local Kia dealer to have it assessed under the warranty.

They later contacted me to say that this corrosion was considered normal oxidisation and that it did not not effect the performance of the brakes, which they had tested, therefore they would not be replacing them under the warranty.
Is this reasonable? I would have thought that corrosion on any part of a car would not be a good thing, particularly when it is on something like the brakes. It also spoils the appearance of the wheels making them look tatty. As a side note Kia are currently on the process of replacing 3 of the alloys under warranty as corrosion has started to appear under the lacquer. Interested on any thoughts people may have, and whether I should push them to replace the callipers when the wheels get sorted in the coming weeks. Thanks

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
197 Posts
Same thing happens with my '15 SX if left out in the rain for a couple of days. Parked right next to my GMC Envoy, the Envoy's rotors are shinny and the Sorento's are rust brown. Even happens when I wash the car and leave it parked w/o driving it for a day or two (I drive 3 cars so the sorento is not daily driven). First application of the Sorentos brakes gives off a scratchey feel as the rust is cleared off, after that all is well. They apparently use a different type of steel. It's not a big thing, however I will not use Kia replacement rotors when it's time to replace the brakes. There are much better aftermarket setups to choose from.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
197 Posts
Sorry about that, my bad, my rusty rotors annoy me, so I jumped all over that and missed the calipers in the OP... My calipers do not show any rust.. I thought calipers were made of ductile iron and newer higher end solved the heat transfer to the fluid and now use aluminum for weight reduction. Nor sure what Kia uses, could be they experamented with different materials..

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
333 Posts
I suspect that Kia will not replace Calipers because of corrosion since it is surface rust only and non-destructive. Now, if the piston bores are starting to rust within the calipers, that a whole different story and can only be determined by observation and pushing the pistons back into the bores to check the walls. Rusty bores will cause the pistons to stick which causes the pads to be slightly applied to the rotors, creating heat related issues and premature/irregular wear on the pads.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,898 Posts
A photo would help.

My 2017 Ford has some rust on the rotors and very little on the calipers - we don't see too much salting of the roads where I am, and that and the typical usage plays a big role.

I'm in agreement with most here, Kia aren't going to replace them if they're fully functional with no risk to safety.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
479 Posts
I think they're basically telling you they're not going to replace parts for aesthetic reasons. Rust is inevitable in many areas (like where I drive in New England). Like Tom said, what matters is the condition of the bores. The dealer found them to be working ok, so I would go buy some caliper paint.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento KX3 2017
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of photos for reference. It does appear to be only surface rust so probably not causing any performance issues with the brakes. Just seems odd that some of the surface has rusted and some hasn't. I've never had a car where the callipers have corroded like this. As its been pointed out Kia are unlikely to replace them on aesthetic grounds, so I'm probably on a hiding to nothing trying to pursue it any further. However I'm not sure visible rust on a car only two years old does the Kia brand image much good. All four callipers are showing similar levels of corrosion.
IMG_20191119_102559551.jpg IMG_20191119_102555854.jpg

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,898 Posts
looks the same as my 2 yo Ford.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
333 Posts
Pretty typical for when we lived on the east coast in the semi-snow belt and they used corrosives on the roads in winter. Here in Arizona, nothing rusts but then we have the sun to contend with as far as damaging environmental effects go. You could probably wire brush those in place and then paint using a brush and hi-temp caliper paint in a liquid instead of a spray. Might not be a perfect outcome but would improve aesthetics. Or just go with the "I can't see them from the drivers seat" attitude.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Honestly I don’t think that’s reflective of the quality of the car. I’ve seen lots of cars with surface rust on the calipers. I think it sometimes comes from metallic brake dust from the pads accumulating on the calipers and rusting. I wouldn’t call that corrosion. If you want fancy looking race car calipers you could sand that off and paint it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts