Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 4runner sport, 2015 Sorento lx Pearl white
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had their car rust proofed ie minged or rust checked? Alot of the car guides and consumer reports think these things are a waste of money. And that cars now a days are very well protected. Just wondering whats your guys thought are on the this subject

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL 2WD, 1961 Triunph TR4 Roadster
712 Posts
I would agree with the mentioned publications! Any aftermarket rust treatment would require the drilling of access holes into the cavities of the vehicle. These holes could easily become the spots, at which rust can start.
Modern cars are hot wax dipped, and have underbody coatings that were specifically developed to last for the life time of the car. Some of the aftermarket stuff might cause adverse chemical reactions with the coatings and negate any of their effects.
For the best case, one just applies a lesser quality coating over a better quality coating!

·
Registered
2005 4runner sport, 2015 Sorento lx Pearl white
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree with the mentioned publications! Any aftermarket rust treatment would require the drilling of access holes into the cavities of the vehicle. These holes could easily become the spots, at which rust can start.
Modern cars are hot wax dipped, and have underbody coatings that were specifically developed to last for the life time of the car. Some of the aftermarket stuff might cause adverse chemical reactions with the coatings and negate any of their effects.
For the best case, one just applies a lesser quality coating over a better quality coating!
I think I am on the same side as you Hudsoner as long as you keep you car clean it should be fine. Guys at my work are trying to sway me to get my car minged, but I have that issues with the drilling into the body panels. Thanks for your your insite Hudsoner

·
Registered
Subaru WRX
241 Posts
Depends where you live and how long you plan on having the car. Perhaps if you were to see all the corrosion recalls Kia has come out with the past 2 years you would consider it. We are replacing control arms on many 2006 and newer Sedonas because they are crumbling to pieces. 01-06 Optimas had their whole subframe replaced. We are adding wax and undercoating to Rondos, 2005-2009 Sportages, 2006+ up Sedona rear sub frames and control arms. There is no need to drill additional holes into anything as the holes are already there. Crawl under your car and take a look.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Depends where you live and how long you plan on having the car. Perhaps if you were to see all the corrosion recalls Kia has come out with the past 2 years you would consider it. We are replacing control arms on many 2006 and newer Sedonas because they are crumbling to pieces. 01-06 Optimas had their whole subframe replaced. We are adding wax and undercoating to Rondos, 2005-2009 Sportages, 2006+ up Sedona rear sub frames and control arms. There is no need to drill additional holes into anything as the holes are already there. Crawl under your car and take a look.
It seems that Kia is aware of those problems. Are you telling us that they did not improve their rust treatment over the course of the last eight or so years?
We are talking of a 2014 or 2015 vehicle here and not one that is eight or more years old!

·
Registered
Subaru WRX
241 Posts
I'm saying there isn't an adequate amount of rust proofing to newer vehicles. I bought a 2014 WRX and it arrived in February. I brought it straight downstairs to the pro pack guy, had him spray wax in cavities, and apply undercoating. I even went as far as to let it cure inside the shop for the weekend. The chemicals the northern states use to clear roads is rediculous. If you plan on keeping the car a long time, rustproofing is a good investment. Also forgot to mention the recall on 2012 optima rear control arms. The problem isn't the control arm rusting out, it's the eccentric bolt seizes inside the control arm bushing. These cars have seen 1 winter and we are needing to cut them out. Sometimes we are able to air hammer them out but the longer they go the more likely we need to cut.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have never had a problem with vehicles rusting out from underneath. I have a 1996 Jeep GC and the underside is still in pretty good shape, the body parts are melting away, and only at the points the drain holes are at. I think that is because of poor edge coating during the painting process. Any aftermarket rustproofing would not have improved that.

One of my friends drives my former 2003 Outback, and that car does not have any problems with rust either. All the vehicles have been driven in the burbs of the Twin Cities, and should have seen the same chemicals as the Kias you are talking about. It must be a Kia thing, and I hope they improved for the 2014 models.

It seems that Kia has/had? a pretty poor surface protection system for it unpainted parts.

·
Registered
Subaru WRX
241 Posts
I would definitely agree it's a Kia thing lol. I think a lot of their components are made from cheap metals. All the more reason to rust proof. As far as body panels tho, I don't see any really rusting out on Kias. First generation Sportages and Sephias maybe but body is usually pretty good. Underneath is a different story.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would definitely agree it's a Kia thing lol. I think a lot of their components are made from cheap metals. All the more reason to rust proof. As far as body panels tho, I don't see any really rusting out on Kias. First generation Sportages and Sephias maybe but body is usually pretty good. Underneath is a different story.
What is rusting? If solid steel components rust (vs stamped sheet metal ones), rustproofing of any kind would only look good, but not do any good. Solid components can only be protected by some chemical/electrochemical means lie galvanization, or electroplating. That cannot be done at any other place than in a factory.
I talked about possible rustproofing with the pros at my employer (the mining, who probably manufactures almost all rust proofing compounds), and they also recommended against it.
But everybody to his own! If it makes you feel better, do it!

·
Registered
Subaru WRX
241 Posts
Subframes, control arms are stamped steel. We spray an aerosol wax in the cavities then apply a rubberized undercoating to the exterior. I don't see issues with solid steel components like tie rods, sway bars, or trailing arms.

·
Registered
Subaru WRX
241 Posts
I'm not saying it will for sure rust out. A good car wash weekly should suffice. But seems like a lot of our customers park outside. And even our car wash doesn't clean the underside.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have never done it to any of my cars. Our winters are short (in Western Canada) and we do not suffer through months of salted roads.

If I lived in a climate where there was more salted roads...I would definitely consider getting aftermarket oil-type undercoating protection if I wanted to keep the car longer than 5-7 years.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm not saying it will for sure rust out. A good car wash weekly should suffice. But seems like a lot of our customers park outside. And even our car wash doesn't clean the underside.
Go to any FleetFarm car wash. They have a heavy duty water blast to clean the underside. If that will not do it, nothing will!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX AWD 2014 Forte Koup SX 6spd MT
123 Posts
The dealership we bought our 15 sorento from, had a package that included undercoating, paint protection, leather protection, and offer lifetime warranty on it. We need to bring the sorento in every 2 years for inspection/re application of products but in 10 years from now if something rusts out, they would fix it free. Paint fades or seats wear out. They fix or replace it.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
609 Posts
Many of us in the rust belt DO get rust proofing myself included!!! No every year but on a used vechile I get two successive years done and start skipping years.

Mositure, water workings into the lower area of doors, rocker panels and tail gates of every vehicle. They do rust and see it driving around. Many pickup truck have fender rotting away. The moisture freezes in the seems and forces opening which start to rust. Its worth it as any body repair including painting is going to cost a huge amount compared to the approx $140 CND for panel, rockers, under chassis that KROWN does. I tried Rust check last year on the Sorento after no using them for 40 years and their application was horrible, missing and not do so many areas that KROWN does do.

I can determine your location as you don't have signature. If in the rust belt with snow, subzero weather then a 500% YES.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts