Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, my google fu is weak and I'm not finding similar enough issues. Car is a 03 rio cinco 1.6 auto 79k miles. Runs good cold though idle fluctuates for first few seconds. When warm it runs terrible. No codes though. Won't idle and won't accelerate well. Replaced wires and coil due to arcing. Haven't checked plugs yet. Really feels like an ignition issue. Like its not advancing or the spark is being retarded. It will hold rpm fine. But any load more than very light acceleration will cause it to fall on its face. It also shifts odd but it could be due to perceived load on engine. A little history, vehicle smacked a deer less than a year ago. I got it dirt cheap and it wasn't that bad of a hit. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My '03 acted in a nearly identical way after being stored for a year, turned out to be the TPS sensor and IAC valve were both bad. Might want to check those, you can try cleaning the IAC with carb cleaner to see if it's just stuck.

(btw, my TPS sensor was definitely bad but did not throw any codes from the ECU)

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Do what dog suggest's check the TPS and the IAC clean them both especiall the tps butterfly valve remove the carbon and unstick the IAC. It can't hurt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a good source for checking tps voltages? This is my first not big 3 car so I'm getting a bit out of my element here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well a little update here as I finally got some time to mess with the car. Started it up cold and it ran great. After it warmed up I shut it off to go check the kia tech info site for plug wire resistance and tps specs. Came back out about 15 misn later and it barely starts and runs rough. Its runnign on 3 cylinders to be exact. First I move the plug and the miss stays put. Number 2 cylinder. Check wire resistance (brand new wires but checked anyways) and number 2 was slightly higher at 5k ohms (5 on the 20k ohm setting). Spec is 4.48~6.72Ω per 3.28 ft (1m) but all were with 3-5k ohms. Coil arcs when you remove plug wire and its also a brand new coil.

So moving on to TPS and it checks out totally fine. Exactly in the middle of the ranges on given specs. I unplugged the o2 sensor while running and it just about stalled it out, so thats usually a good sign, along with mass air sensor too. I guess my next step will be to rent a compression tester and also figure out if the injector is working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts