Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem. I am a tech at an independent shop and was recently given a 1999 Kis Sportage. I hardly runs. It was at another shop where they replaced the coils, plugs, wires, and timing belt. I have good fuel pressure. I am getting white smoke and a hard misfire on number 3 code(PO303). I have gone back over the vehicle to check their work. Timing is right on. I suspect an injector problem. I ran 2 cans of injector cleaner and the truck ran great. But after sitting for a week now runs like crap again. I have pulled the injectors and sent them out to be flow tested and cleaned. They all checked the same at 16.6 ohms spec is 13.8. So I am now waiting to hear word on the injectors. I have had 3 other sportages with simular problems. I cleaned the injectors and all turned out great. Has anyone else had problems with injectors? Is there anywhere else I should look?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
White smoke? I bet the exhaust smells funny. It sounds like you're looking in the wrong place because it sounds like you might have coolant leaking into the #3 cylinder. Try doing a pressure test on the cooling system and pull the plugs to see what they look like. After you pull the plugs, the Sportage is perfect for looking into the plug hole to see the coolant covering the piston, depending on how bad the leak is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already pressure checked. Not overheating or losing coolant. The white smoke smells like raw fuel not coolant. The plugs are really fouled. It is almost like an injector leaking down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#3 is most fouled but it runs so bad they all are fouling. Compression has been checked and all in range. Also like I stated the Mass air flow is new. The coolant temp sensor checked fine. The mais hard code I am getting is misfire #3. Also when I finished cleaning the injectors the first time it ran perfect. It sat for just over a week and it runs worse than ever. It has a new fuel filter and fuel pressure is at spec. I really feel it is an injector problem. I will know tomorrow when the machine shop gives me the results of the injector flow testing and cleaning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it was the injectors. The results of the flow test was bad. Not one injecter was close to spec. #3 was well below half flow. It now runs great. I have a new problem now the fuel gauge is not reading correct. It stayed on E after putting 5 gallons in it. It would then move up to almost half then back to E as I drove. I am going to pull it tomorrow and see what is up.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed. I wonder why the plugs were fouling if there wasn't enough fuel getting into the cylinders?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know. But it is no longer fouling plugs. I am not sure if it has to do with the type of injector the KIA uses. In the past few months I have had 3 other Kia Sportages with the same problem and performing an injection flush fixed all of them. I will say they all came in with misfire codes. Neither plugs, coils, or wires would fix the problem. Only a fuel injection cleaning fixed them. Mine must have been way worse off. If I get a chance I will post the flow test results. The guy at the machine shop did ask me if the car ran.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think i found the cause of my problems of rough idle - white smoke and only 2/3 cyl working

I went to BOSH SERVICE because my car is OBDI and in italy they are the only one who can scan propely the ECM.

they got this result = No ground at injectors 1 and 3. and Low level MAF ( of course i took it from a Rover 75)

After an hard work they found the 2 wires skinned repaired whith 10 inch of tape

[attachmentid=1100]

[attachmentid=1101]
by
Marco

PLEASE
SHARE THE EXPERIENCE

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts