Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
07 Rio SX, 01 Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I purchased an 01 Sportage cheap last summer. Needed a head, found a rebuild one on Craigslist. We have put approx 15k miles on it since. The other weekend just running down the road it made a pop and lost power. No start. When I got back home #4 plug well was full of oil. Still had 160 lbs compression or more on all cylinders. Found a place on the cam cover gasket where it fell out of the landing and was pinched out. Replaced Spark plugs, Cam cover gasket, PCV valve & grommet. Had 3&4 miss fire codes multiple miss fires codes. Cleared them, tried to start, no luck. Now I get P1121 and if I keep cranking code P1115. I never checked the coils for resistance, but I don't think coils would generate those codes. Could the TPS just fail going down the road. I had to stop working on it Sat. morning to go to a family thing so I didn't get to do any more diagnosis. Is it the Blk/Yellow wire from the TPS to check voltage? I read it some where but didn't write it down. I'm getting that CRS where if I don't write it down I can't remember... Anyone else ever have this issue? Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1999 Sportage: Standard Trans/4WD 92K
28 Posts
dirtrider335,

Your Sportage story reminds me of certain aspects of mine. Shortly after purchase I began to experience engine misfire codes as well. Also similar is the oil in the spark plug wells.

You mentioned Changing spark plugs. Did you carefully examine the coil packs and associated wiring? My issue was cracked coils and damaged low voltage wiring pigtail. The pigtail is the short length of wiring that connects the coils to the main wiring harness. Cracks in all three components, in conjunction with oily conditions, led to shorts and misfires.

Your sudden failure also rings a bell. For me, a melted lead from the crankshaft positioning sensor led to a sudden, and dramatic, shutdown on the highway. Not really suggesting your issue is the same but more encouraging you to keep your mind open for a similar situation.

·
Registered
07 Rio SX, 01 Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gnome, I did pull it back apart to check the coils. The spark looks weak out of the rear coil, and the boot is swelled from the oil. I'll pick up coils and prob a lead pigtail also. Talked to a mechanic this week, he said not to worry about the TPS code, it should still start. I'll update after this weekend. G.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts