Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in response to a Kia owner wondering if they were over charged for a 30,000 mi checkup. My answer is; possibly. I had my 09 Borrego done at Arapahoe Kia just south of Denver. The charge was $502. Inbedded in the charge was a $125.95 fee for a fuel injector service; flush, scan, and conditioner. I looked closely at the 30k list of required services in the manual and no where was that to be found. Drove back there and the service manager said it was "highly reccomended". Well "whoppie duppie". It's not in the book and it's still under warranty should a problem should arise. He disappeared into his office for 10 min., came back and gave me a refund for that. So, make sure what they do is on the list in your owners manual.
That was April, 2012. Today I went in for an oil change, agreed to an air filter and cabin filter change-$45 labor just for the filters R&R. Are you kidding me?
The air takes two minutes. After reading about the cabin filter I figured 5 min or so if you've done it before. I understand some are a pain but not in the Borrego.
I will never go there again and I will document the 60k check from somewhere else. Fool me once......

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yes. dealers charge a lot of money for services. It's called 'overhead', and there's nothing new about it.

But you're right, changing the air & cabin filter is something you can do easily enough on your own.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
they charge $80-100 per hour of labor. Hence, if something takes 10 minutes to do, you pay 1/6 of the hourly rate.

In addition, but it might not be true to all of them, they use standard tables for hourly rates/time to complete. Say, cabin filter is listed as 25 minutes job. If it takes them 10, they will still charge for 25, because they are entitled to.
On the other hand if it takes more, they will charge you, because something went wrong - you know, those unforeseen issues...

I do not know why you would agree to air and cabin filter change... that is so simple. Besides, before you let them work on your car - you did sign the estimate of work order so that the payment should not be a surprise to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
PLP
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing