Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Have a 2004 Sorento LX for the past 6 months, been in the shop now on its 4th time. Seems to have "something" wrong with gearbox/transmission, but nobody knows how to fix it (computer doesn't "read" anything wrong with it). I'm sorry, but idling at 2400 rpms and going up to 5,000 rpms when simply accelerating (not even "gunning" it) is a little obscene! It has averaged 18L/100kms (or 13.1 mpg or 15.7 imperial mpg). They have now had it for a week, saying they have not found anything wrong with it. They made 1 silly mistake though, they just gave me a 2003 Sorento EX "loaner", since it is taking them longer than they thought. My rpms are almost double of what this one drives!

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Your Sorento is defenatly idling too high. Mine doesnt even come close to idling that high. Good luck and keep us posted. Oh ya welcome to the site too!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Obviuosly something wrong. You should be looking at a tick over of around 750rpm (diesel) and in 5th 90 MPH only needs around 3000rpm. Sounds like the ECU at fault.

Is yours an automatic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an Automatic 3.5L V6 with only 13,500 kms on it (it was a demo .. got it with 7,700 kms). The dealer has had it since Monday. The Service Manager has been driving it around town to do their own "L/100km or mpg" test ... (I am a woman, apparently I can't do the math ... oh and FYI - I can do the math, even my husband had to "double check" and admitted that I was doing it right) ... so instead of finding the problem, they have been driving it for a week just to get their own comparison. They haven't even looked under the hood! Anyway, they now want to keep it over the weekend too!

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
Maybe just to give you some fuel for the fire I too track my MPG and l/100km on my Sorento and did with my Sedona before.

I'm on my 4th tank since getting my Demo with 12000 km on it. I do a mixed loop of driving as I live 10 km's from the city where I work. So the first 15 minutes of my drive is mostly highway speeds then I have to drive all the way across the city to my office. I have been averageing 19 - 20 MPG imperial or around 13 - 14 L/100km.

I have yet to get it out on the highway for a good run to see what the feul mileage is there but so far it's pretty well as advertised. They advertise 18 MPG city and 26 highway.

It sounds to me like there is something wrong with the ECU and what it's telling the transmision to do. Do you use the manumatic part of the trasmision at all? If they tell you there is nothing wrong with it try using it for a while afterward and see if there is any improvement. Either that or take it to another dealership. And hey KIA Canada is also located in Toronto give them a ring or stop by and let them know about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there,

This might help your case. I have a Sorento 2005 EX with 4608 klm on it. Since I have owned it I have averaged 20.17 MPG Imperial, Combined city and hwy.
Took my first long Hyw trip from Montreal to Kincardine Ont. Replenishing the tank often to get the best picture of the fuel consumption. I averaged 24.45 Mpg, and the best leg of the trip got 26.27 MPG. Most of the trip was on cruise set for 112 KLM per hour no A/C.
I feel sorry for you considering the cost of fuel. Don’t let the dealer off the hook, I would contact KiA Toronto with the information you are receiving in this forum.
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts