Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

The last two weeks in Calgary have been a good test for the ABS system, especially with tons of ice on the roads. I just had winter tires put on my car on October 20th. Just in time. There seems to be a lot of discussion around 15" steel rims fitting, or not fitting on a Rio 5 SX. My dealer, Kia City, didn't mention any problems and installed 15" steel rims. They don't seem to bind or rub the front calipers but it is a very close fit.

The reason I mentioned the recent tire/rim installation is that I am not sure if it is related to my issue with the ABS system. Which may not be a problem at all. So here it goes. When I step on the brake and ABS system comes on, especially on the front wheels, it feels very rough and jerky with a lot of direct feedback through the brake pedal itself. Normal breaking is still very smooth. It is only when I plant my foot on some ice. Something which I did a few times on purpose in an alley lane because it didn't feel right.

Initially I was testing the stopping power of the new winter tires on ice when I noticed this. The most surprising is the kick back I feel in the brake pedal itself. I haven't driven many cars and the most recent comparison I have is my Fiancee's 2011 Fiesta. The rough jerky-ness seems to come mostly from the front wheels. Has anyone else experience this? Is it normal for the 2012/2013 Kia Rio 5? As I said before, normal braking is still smooth and feels good. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
ABS Working Fine

Sounds like your ABS is doing its thing. "When the ABS system is in operation the driver will feel a pulsing in the brake pedal; this comes from the rapid opening and closing of the valves. This pulsing also tells the driver that the ABS has been triggered. Some ABS systems can cycle up to 16 times per second"

ABS will help you control your car when stopping on slick surfaces, but may in fact take a little more distance to stop. Control trumps distance in most cases. I would not consider buying a car without ABS in Upstate NY! It's a modern marvel and the KIA system worked well for me last winter :)

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
My SX Sedan is the same & the lamp flashes for the ABS & I am still on the summer tyres(Waiting for my Costco 15" rims).It seems normal to me compared to other ABS equipped cars I have owned & drive.I will let you know if ther is any difference with winter tyes & steel rims but i doubt it should make any difference.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
The reason I mentioned the recent tire/rim installation is that I am not sure if it is related to my issue with the ABS system. Which may not be a problem at all. So here it goes. When I step on the brake and ABS system comes on, especially on the front wheels, it feels very rough and jerky with a lot of direct feedback through the brake pedal itself. Normal breaking is still very smooth. It is only when I plant my foot on some ice. Something which I did a few times on purpose in an alley lane because it didn't feel right.
It sounds perfectly normal, it does this on my Soul and did the same thing on my Rondo before that. It can throw you off a bit the first time you try it when you are not used to it. :D I would be worried if it didn't do any of that.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, your responses make me feel a bit better. It just felt a bit more violent than on the Fiesta, which was disconcerting. New car, new handling, new feeling, and new responses.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Abs

Thanks everyone, your responses make me feel a bit better. It just felt a bit more violent than on the Fiesta, which was disconcerting. New car, new handling, new feeling, and new responses.
Yes

I have driven my sons Fiesta in the winter and the feedback through the break pedal is not as violent, so I totally understand why you would be concerned. That being said the KIA ABS system is excellent it just provides you with a little more feedback :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts