Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband noticed it today for the first time since we got our sorento. We bought it in september of 2004. Should I take it to the dealer to see what in the **** the problem is?

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Saw something about this somewhere before, will see if I can track it down, either here or on Sorentosite. Pretty sure it had to do with the aircon, it's got filters that can be changed etc. Will put anything else here that I can find.

Cheers

Derek

OK, just search this forum under smell and you'll find it or try this link.

http://www.kia-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=4180&hl=smell

·
Registered
75 Posts
the bad egg smell you have may be the catalytic converter on the exaust you may be able to get a cleaner for it the claner goes in to the fuel tank then take the car for a long run so the cleaner starts to do its job hope this helps regards phil www.autobarn.net/chcat-1.html see this

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hey guys, would be nice to get some feedback on what happened here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i havent smelled anything. i think my husband was smelling things, but i dont know. if i smell it then i'll look into fixing the problem. :57:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by wolfej1984@Aug 23 2005, 03:19 AM
My husband noticed it today for the first time since we got our sorento. We bought it in september of 2004. Should I take it to the dealer to see what in the **** the problem is?
Air con repair shops have a spray which you can inject into the air intake/filter assembly whilst the air con is switched on. This kills the bacteria that causes the smell. It is a common occurance.

There are also household spays that can be used. Make sure the one that you buy one that DOES NOT contain bleach.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:00000732:
Oh my !!! I reported this problem on the forum over 12 months ago & had the usual replies : air con cleaner ( did that ! ) cat convertor ( know the smell ... it aint that !! ) etc, etc.

The smell for those of you who have not noticed it, on my Sorento any way, comes in when you turn the aircon OFF ! It smells like cats wee & after several miles driving can be very off putting. I turn the air con back on ... the smell goes !

My only thought on this is the smell is always there for a few days after heavy rain or after I wash the car. As the weather has been OK here in the UK for the past few weeks I have not cleaned the car on the usual ' every Sunday morning ' routine, & have not noticed the smell ( not that I have been looking for it as I tend to drive with the air con on all the time ! )

Obviously a problem there somewhere ..........but where only God knows !!!

Cheers

Mark
:gunsmilie:

·
Registered
26 Posts
The rotten egg smell usually is attributed to a rich condition. If the mileage warrants, a air filter change may be in order. But first, what grade of gasoline are you burning? I just found out that my wife has been burning mid-grade in our 05 Sorento. The use of a higher grade of gas does not mean better performance and and could cause a rich condition since the engine was not designed to burn the higher octane and can in some cases create an unhealty condition in the engine. And why does the smell go away when the AC is on? The engine is under more load and can burn more of the gas.

The dealer or a qualified mechanic can run a scan of the engine and observe the voltages at the O2 sensors to see if the rich condition exsists. Hope the information helps.

Walker
Owensboro, KY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by Derek@Aug 24 2005, 05:37 PM
Hey guys, would be nice to get some feedback on what happened here.
Whats the bet like all good hubby's should do, we take the wifes car and drive it like we stole it. so the CAT gets very hot and you get the smell, and its burning in from the high temp and can be considered normal. If it happens constantly when the car has been driven then it should be looked into.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know whether this will help or not but I have noticed a "cat wee" smell from time to time - I have traced it to the screen wash solution when the water level is down. I have had it on a Vauxhall Omega and a Rover 75 and it has been the same each time - screen wash. I regret buying the 5 litre economy size!

If you are getting the smell while driving, it is likely, because of air flow, that the smell is coming from the high front end area - blowing through/past the driving position and air intake. The Cat is midships below the car and emissions should not be capable of getting into the cabin in any event.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:460:
Thanks to you all re replies. Re gasoline use ... the cars diesel so this isn,t going to help !!! Re screen wash ... very interesting, thanks. Someone did say to me before about this possibly being the problem. My screen wash is the pink stuff from Halfords ... be interested if this is the same as in your Omega?

Cheers
Mark
:beer:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good guess, Halfords screenwash it is. I also remembered that on my Omega, the washer bottle ran very low and I didn't use the car for a while - the screenwash gelled up and I had to drain and flush the washer system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:banana:
Interesting you say it is Halfords own, Sorentoman ..... my wife has it in her car ( a citreon C2 ) and she reports no smells. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM .... what next !!!!! :haha:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts