Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Anyone suffer from a 'rotten egg smell' occasionaly in the car, no jokes please!!! It last's sometimes for a few hours or like the last time before Christmas, for over a week. When I opperated the A/C the smell went, then once the A/C is turned off, within a few mins came back. On it's 1st service I mentioned this to my dealer, they said it is probably in the A/C, put an 'anti-bacteria' spray around the A/C somewhere, & I must admit, touch wood ..... has not as of yet returned !! Interested to know if anyone else has come across the same problem ?
Cheers
Mark :crying:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
The smell is the catalytic converter converting bad emmisions. It happens to me every now and then with my Sorento. It is no big deal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
NO WAY !! Sorry mate, I know what a cat smell is & this certainly isn't the same smell!! Also it is a ''big deal'' when it makes you feel sick after traveling in the car for any length of time, on a car that was only a few months old when I 1st noticed it there is obviously more to it. Any one else had this problem. Cheers
Mark :alien:

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
I had a similar problem with my last Trooper, before I bought my Sorento. Finally found and replaced the cabin filter which appeared to be contaminated with something I assumed it had picked up in transit from the factory.
I'm looking to replace my Sorento cabin filter. You can get them from Holland if your dealer can't supply one; but I have yet to discover where it is located.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I didnt realize that the smell was that bad where after a while it makes you feel sick. Mine is not that bad. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all ..... problem is if it were the filter surely it would be around a lot more?
As I have mentioned previously, the smell has gone for now. I noticed it on 5 or 6 occasions before this.
Cheers
Mark :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
'When I opperated the A/C the smell went'

In the manual they say you should run the A/C once a month at least, even if you don't normally use it. Maybe this has got something to do with this smell that appears now & then? I haven't had the problem so I can't really tell.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No ..... Thanks, I do realise the air con needs working regularly. To be honest with my Sorento on Auto air the air con is always on anyway!!
Cheers
Mark :p

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2004
66 Posts
I think you will find that despite your protestations, it IS the Cat converter. I have had the same 'rotten egg' smell accasionally with my new Sedona, and I had it with my old Vauxhall Astra. In both cases, I have been asssured by the service managers that it IS in fact the Cat. converter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts