Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The roof rack bars on my EX can only be moved around on the rear section of the rails - a block stops them from being moved forward to increase the space between the bars. As I often carry surfboards over 9ft lonng they need to be further apart to ensure a safe tie down.

Has anyone moved the bars forward and how did you do it? it looks as though I have to remove the entire racks to get to the screw holding the block in place - easy enough but do I need to put a screw into the bars to lock them further forward?

Doin it in the sand
Beachboy

;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I don't have an answer for you but I wanted to add that I have the same set-up and, therefore, problem: rack cross-bars spread about 23" only on the back part of the roof. I need much wider to carry my 'yaks. I have looked at many Sorento pictures on the Kia website and I've seen racks set to much wider distances. I called my local Kia dealer but, as of yet, no answer. I will persist and let you know if I get any encouraging info. Take care.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just spoke with another Sorento driver who has moved his roof bars foward - the story is that the block is meant to be the extent of the spread available as Kia wont guarantee the load rating on the front screws.

Having said that, I was advised that others have moved them forward and travelled extensively with longboards without any problems.

You need to unscrew and remove the rails which will allow access to the screw which holds the block in place - remove this and then replace the rails. The only catch is that once the bar is moved forward there is no lock point for it so you will need to drill a small hole and put a screw in place to lock it in place (use a screw which is compatible with the allow bars, ie not steel).

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem (2005 LX Sport) and the dealer said KIA wants the blocks there and they won't change it for me.

In the manual it says models with sunroof option have the stops further back.

I think they are using the same rack for all vehicles.

I had trouble carrying a ladder, and recently broke my windshield stuffing drainpipes inside because the rack is useless.

Anybody have success getting a dealer to fix this? How did you do it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, first post on this forum.

I had the problem with the front bar being too far back as well. It's actually quite easy to remove the two forward stop screws if you get a small screwdriver that bends at a 90 degree angle. Took me about 5 minutes and I was able to then slide the stops all the way forward and move the bar forward so that I could put my roof carrier on. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks - I will try this - I was reluctant to remove the rack to get access in case there is hardware inside that might fall away- sounds like I don't have to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can have the dealer fix this, Get out the promo pic's with the car top carrier and show them the bars are full forward. Shoe them this and then be an "A" hole they'll move them then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts