gear ratios for the
2.4L and 2.7L

1st - 2.842 - 3.789
2nd - 1.529 - 2.064
3rd - 1.000 - 1.421
4th - 0.712 - 1.034
5th ---------- 0.728
Thanks.

Fairly close top gear ratios. That makes me feel better. Both have overdrives. The real difference is that low gear in the 5-speed. That'll get the trailer rolling.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rondo LX I4 5-seater, white
34 Posts
Polar Reviews

What's odd in the reviews I've been reading since February (while deciding between Mazda5 and Rondo) is the polar opinions. I know I should cite the examples, but I'm too lazy. But, among the reviews, here are some divergent conclusions and impressions.

Most find the interior to be well designed and of higher quality than other cars in the Rondo's class, while a few say the interior is not so hot and complain about the hard black plastic across the dash and along the top of the inner door panels. Personally, I'd rather clean hard plastic than my former Sedona's cloth.

Most reviewers consider the handling to be a low point, especially when comparing to the Mazda5. However, occasionally you'll read, "handles like a car"—and even better—I guess in comparison to a so-called "minivan".

Many say the power is not impressive, but a few say it's surprisingly good. I agree with viking79 in Post #10, that reviewers expect too much power. Another disagreement is between the I4 and V6. Some say there's little difference, so save your money and get the four. Others say the car lacks power unless you opt for the six.

Steering response is anywhere between "vague" and "responsive."

Like an earlier dmac93 post (#4) stated, it bothers me when they review only the 7-seat configuration and rate the convenience of folding the seats, based on the extra steps needed for that model's second row. Some of us don't need the third row of seats. I chose the 5-seater because it is very convenient to fold down the second row.

Most reviewers are luke-warm on the looks or even say it's really ugly, and others think it's quite pleasant-looking. I wish they wouldn't waste my time on trivial, irrelevant, subjective things, especially when it can be one of only six criteria that the car is judged on.* The review in Post #272 is only one of many examples. It really disturbs me when I read that people chose the Mazda over the Rondo because (actual statement) "I knew my wife wouldn't like the looks" of the Rondo. Priorities?

That said, I like the looks and my wife thinks it's "cute".

*At least one review rated the car on six criteria, one being styling. Then the ratings were averaged together, meaning the styling had equal importance to comfort, handling, convenience, etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts

It really disturbs me when I read that people chose the Mazda over the Rondo because (actual statement) "I knew my wife wouldn't like the looks" of the Rondo. Priorities?

That said, I like the looks and my wife thinks it's "cute".
:rolleyes: Good one. If it disturbs you to read other peoples opinions, the answer is simple, don't read them.

Wonder if anyone will be disturbed reading your opinion. :D

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX 4cyl. 5 pass.
510 Posts
I chose the I4, myself, for the chain timing, but the V6 would have two advantages (that were trumped in my case).

Six pistons make 50% fewer revolutions that four. Each piston (and rod, valve, lifter) does less work.

In the Rondo, the six has the extra transmission gear. I don't know the ratios, but if the 5th gear works as an overdrive, the engine will turn fewer RPM at highway speeds than the four with the 4-speed.
As has already been said, top gear ratios are about the same so RPM is about the same. If RPM is the same, then each of the six pistons make the same number of revolutions and fire the same number of times. The only advantage I see is that the percentage of peak load is a little less on V6, assuming the power requirement is the same.

BTW, my wife and I thought the Rondo was better looking than the Mazda 5.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Most reviewers consider the handling to be a low point,

Steering response is anywhere between "vague" and "responsive."
I wonder if the differencein handling/steering response was affected by using standard tires on LX 16" rims vs. low-profile tires on EX 17" rims?

I think another member posted somewhere about how he had a rondo with the 16" rims, but had an opportunity to rent a rondo with 17" rims. He said it was a very different experience (the 17" rims felt like a totally different experience).

I've only had the 17" rims with low-profile Michelin tires. I came from a Toyota 4Runner and Jeep Cherokee. I was very impressed with the handling, but I was coming from SUVs with balloon-like tires. Driving home from the dealer in the Rondo felt like I was in a race car in comparison.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wonder if the differencein handling/steering response was affected by using standard tires on LX 16" rims vs. low-profile tires on EX 17" rims?

I think another member posted somewhere about how he had a rondo with the 16" rims, but had an opportunity to rent a rondo with 17" rims. He said it was a very different experience (the 17" rims felt like a totally different experience).

I've only had the 17" rims with low-profile Michelin tires. I came from a Toyota 4Runner and Jeep Cherokee. I was very impressed with the handling, but I was coming from SUVs with balloon-like tires. Driving home from the dealer in the Rondo felt like I was in a race car in comparison.
I notice a lot of reviews may be influenced by how the test driver classifies the car. If they consider it a small minivan, they praise the fuel consumption, handling, etc. If they consider it a compact wagon, they tend to raise their expectations in these categories.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:rolleyes: Good one. If it disturbs you to read other peoples opinions, the answer is simple, don't read them.

Wonder if anyone will be disturbed reading your opinion. :D
The problem is not the opinion itself, it's the priority that the writer (or his wife) put on a car's appearance. People put too much emphasis on a car's looks. Why am I complaining? Because auto companies respond by putting their resources into styling, rather than practicality or reliability.

Chrysler Corp, is one of the best examples. Their favorite thing is to produce cars with a minimum of outward visibility because their stylists seem to think a low roofline with massive roof pillars looks cool. Toyota, of all companies, went in the same direction with its letterbox-view replacement for the wonderful xB (bB in Japan).

If Chrysler put as much effort into the mechanical components, maybe their cars would run, instead of sitting in the repair center looking pretty.

Long live the Rondo & Mazda5!

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
Look how high the Rondo sits in the final , rear shot picture. My carens has never sat that high, even on the jacks having the tyres changed.:D

Has the tiny middle seat in the middle row of the Mazda been mentioned? It was one of the major points when we chose the Carens, along with the colour, automatic gearbox , diesel engine, 5 year warranty, driving position, space in the cabin.....

MUDDS

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
well if we restrict it to 7-seater MPV and non-crossover cars of simular specification engine diesel or petrol

the race would have these possible contenders

Mazda 5
Mazda - Mazda5 - Overview

Ford S-MAX
Overview

Toyota Verso
MPV - Toyota Verso MPV

Vauxhall Zafira
Zafira | Vehicle Range | Cars | Vauxhall Motors UK

Renault Grand Scenic
Renault UK - Renault Cars - New Grand Scenic

Citroen Grand picasso
Citroën UK Cars - The range - Citroën Grand C4 Picasso

Volkswagon Touran
The Official Website for Volkswagen UK : Volkswagen UK

it would be an interesting exercise on the track to see which one performed the best in a simular spec'd car.
What a cool thought. I think the zafira , in the sports guise would win that one, if it didn't break down on the start line. the grand picasso- doesn't that have that silly automatic handbrake, that would be too sloww off the mark. The touran is just too heavy. The grand scenic would develop an electrical fault. The Smax wouldn't come out in the rain, I don't like the mazda. Stig would be so comfy in the Carens you would have to wake him up to pull off.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone help me with a check engine light on dashboard? I changed the battery and the light appeared. I saw a message that said to reset codes, to disconnect battery ground for short time. In changing the battery, I reset it didn't I ? All fluid levels are good. Maybe I should try disconnecting again ? Confused. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,537 Posts
Can anyone help me with a check engine light on dashboard? I changed the battery and the light appeared. I saw a message that said to reset codes, to disconnect battery ground for short time. In changing the battery, I reset it didn't I ? All fluid levels are good. Maybe I should try disconnecting again ? Confused. Thanks
this is a thread on reviews (and also its 4 years old), you are better off starting a new thread with the question. And when you do that fill out your location and drives details as to could have some relevance to your problem. Hard to help answer a question about your vehicle when we have no idea what it is or how many km/miles are on it.

301 - 315 of 315 Posts