Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2008 Kia Rondo EX. The passenger side rear door will not open from the inside or the outside. It started by not opening from the outside first, only inside. Then I think the child lock switch was switched by one of the kids in error so that is likely why it will not open from the inside. So now it will not open from outside or inside. The locks look and sound like they are working. I am thinking it might be a problem with the outer door handle linkage. I tried to take the interior door panel off but from what I can see in looking at diagrams online (and my other rear door which will open), it appears as if there is a screw that needs to be taken out by the speaker and it is not visible when the door is closed. So I am at a loss as to what to do with this problem. I am trying to avoid taken it to the dealer and I simply don't have the money to pay for the repair time they would charge, so doing it myself is my only real option (if at all possible!). Any help at all with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX 4 cyl. Red 5-seater
113 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2008 Kia Rondo EX. The passenger side rear door will not open from the inside or the outside. It started by not opening from the outside first, only inside. Then I think the child lock switch was switched by one of the kids in error so that is likely why it will not open from the inside. So now it will not open from outside or inside. The locks look and sound like they are working. I am thinking it might be a problem with the outer door handle linkage. I tried to take the interior door panel off but from what I can see in looking at diagrams online (and my other rear door which will open), it appears as if there is a screw that needs to be taken out by the speaker and it is not visible when the door is closed. So I am at a loss as to what to do with this problem. I am trying to avoid taken it to the dealer and I simply don't have the money to pay for the repair time they would charge, so doing it myself is my only real option (if at all possible!). Any help at all with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Is your vehicle still covered by the factory warranty? I had the same problem on our Rondo a couple of years ago and the repair was covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
If you are the first owner or it has less than 50K miles (even for transferred owner), it should be covered by warranty. You did exactly the same thing I'll try myself. Fortunately, this has not happened to my 08 Rondo EX. :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like a problem that used to afflict the door handles for the MkII Carens / Rondo.

The plastic lobe cracks and operating the external handle merely opens the crack and provides very little movement in the rods. Whereas the internal handle works just fine, but no use if the child locks are already enabled.

The UK Carens I had (very late (December) 2003 model), had this problem on the front passenger side door. Which I repaired myself, by drilling gluing and screwing the plastic lobe. I understand some owners had it happen on more than one door, so it does seem they are prone to it.

Is your model of Rondo / Carens the MkIII (2006/7 onwards) because I'm wondering if the same problem is apparent in the later models. It was a contributory factor in why I got rid of my Carens - things like that, gearboxes being known to be weak, fuel economy a bit poor, and lots of minor niggles and faults that really shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
does anyone know how to get to that plastic lobe? i am fairly mechanically inclined. outside handle on the right rear door doesnt do anything, 2009 Rondo EX. i removed the door panel, that exposed a big silver plate held in by bolts around the ouside of the plate. i removed the window motor and the bolts, the plate is loose but is attached to the window track so i cant get it out of the way, and cant figure out how to get it apart correctly without messing up the track and window cable.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo LX 2.7 V6
16 Posts
does anyone know how to get to that plastic lobe? i am fairly mechanically inclined. outside handle on the right rear door doesnt do anything, 2009 Rondo EX. i removed the door panel, that exposed a big silver plate held in by bolts around the ouside of the plate. i removed the window motor and the bolts, the plate is loose but is attached to the window track so i cant get it out of the way, and cant figure out how to get it apart correctly without messing up the track and window cable.
I'm having the same issue. Can't remove the inner panel. Help!:eek:

·
Registered
Kia Rondo 2008
1 Posts
Removing door panel

Both rear door handles on our Kia Rondo won't work. Haven't figured out how to fix it, but I found a video that shows how to remove the rear door panel to gain access. Posting it in case anyone can make use of it in the future. Haven't tried it yet because I am on the fence about buying a rivet tool to fix a 10 year old car. Can open both doors from the inside. I can't post links because I haven't posted enough, but the video is on youtube about how to replace a window actuator on a kia rondo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts