Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find an oil filter wrench for a 2010 Rondo V6. I ordered an 80mm/15 flute wrench on ebay but that one is too big for the Rondo. Did a search on this site as well as Google; can't find anything. The dealer was no help. I am in Canada by the way. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
I just wear nitrile coated gloves when changing the filter to get some extra grip with my 2009 4cyl and a pivoting band-style filter wrench if it's stubborn.

(not this exact one, but something like it)

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
I use a filter wrench where it's like a big socket that fits on the end of the filter, and I use a ratchet wrench to turn it.

What oil filter brand/size do you use? Do you have a spare handy?

Bring your spare oil filter into the auto parts store, and then "try on" the various sized oil filter sockets till you find the perfect fit.

·
Registered
2014 White Rondo LX Auto 5 Seat, 2009 Titanium Silver Rondo EX-V6 Luxury 7 Seat
55 Posts
Doug360: I bought one about a month ago at NAPA here in Calgary(the main store, big warehouse). It is black plastic(cap style) and has 80-15 stamped on the inside which should mean 80mm, 15 sided. It does measure 80mm and is 15 sided. It's got a 3/8" square hole on the bottom to accommodate your 3/8" drive. I've got it in front of me now along with a new Kia oil filter for the rondo V6 and it fits the filter perfectly with no slop whatsoever. I used it on the last oil change I did which was about a month ago and it worked perfectly. In Edmonton, you've got the biggest NAPA warehouse in Alberta, probably western Canada. If the big store in Calgary doesn't have something, they order it out of Edmonton, so you'll definitely be able to get it in Edmonton. This wrench was only about $5 and change so I never hung on to the bill so unfortunately, I don't have any more info on it. The guy at Napa couldn't find a listing for the Rondo so he measured my filter and then brought out 4 wrenches of different sizes. It turned out that the 80-15 was the perfect size. My suggestion would be to take a new Kia oil filter for the Rondo V6 with you to NAPA so you can be sure of the fit on the spot. If you use a jobber filter, take that, in case it's a slightly different size than the OEM. Good luck with it.

·
Banned
79 Posts
For those of you that live in Canada, Princess Auto sells one that goes on any regular socket wrench, and is milti sized, closes down on the filter as you tighten, and for getting into the tight space like where the Rondo's filter is, works like a charm. Whether you use the bigger filter (same as on the Kia Soul etc) or the usual/regular smaller filter for the Rondo, it will work on either one, is fairly universal. I think it was only about $10 as well.

·
Registered
Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
226 Posts
I just use channel lock pliers and if the filter gets crushed in the process, oh well. It's not like I'm going to re-use it. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For those of you that live in Canada, Princess Auto sells one that goes on any regular socket wrench, and is milti sized, closes down on the filter as you tighten, and for getting into the tight space like where the Rondo's filter is, works like a charm. Whether you use the bigger filter (same as on the Kia Soul etc) or the usual/regular smaller filter for the Rondo, it will work on either one, is fairly universal. I think it was only about $10 as well.
I bought that one at Princess Auto; it looks like it will work perfectly. Thanks Again.

·
Banned
79 Posts
No worries! I used to work there too, good people, affordable products, and the one they have is perfect for a tight spot like the Rondo oil filter has, so glad someone got one from them!

Cheers!

·
Registered
Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
226 Posts
The Rondo's filter is in a tight spot? Really???

My first car was an 86 Honda Accord and the filter was on the back side of the engine just underneath the intake manifold. You had to jack up the car and wiggle way under there. There was not enough room with a filter wrench. I just used to drive a philips screwdriver through it to get it off at oil change time.

The Rondo is easy-peasy compared to that.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Hahaha, yeah, my 93 Nissan Pathfinder, oil filter was on the side of the engine, right above the starter. You had to be pretty careful not to dump the oil out of the filter when you unscrewed it... I hadn't been changing my own oil, but after Walmart let the oil dump out all over the starter and I had to get a new one, I started doing all my own changes. Not sure about the V6 Rondo, but the 4cyl is a piece of cake to get to!

·
Banned
79 Posts
I meant a tight spot around the filter, not much room at all between the filter and surrounding covers, metal parts etc. It's in a super easy spot to get to, but good luck getting it off with a typical oil filter wrench is what I meant. I too have had cars that have had filters in quite messed up spots, like honestly, who designed the engine so that the oil filter is directly above the starter? That is just plain dumb.

Of COURSE you're going to get oil into the starter, and then have to replace it, that's not rocket science lol!!! Some designers really need to ask actual mechanics if things make sense before they decide on an engine design, put it into production etc lol!!!

But yeah, I just meant on the V6 EX at least, the filter is tucked in so far, that you cannot get it off with a traditional oil filter wrench unfortunately. You need to use the ratchet style or 'socket' style filter wrench on it to get it loose. I'm sure if you used a 'Fram' filter with the grippy-tape stuff on the end of it, and didn't tighten it too much, you could get the old one off by hand, but it's still tight if you have hands bigger than a ladies hands lol!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yea, this shouldn't be a contest to see who has the hardest to get to oil filter. My Rondo is a 2010 so I've already done a number of oil changes the hard way. I've tried a strap type wrench that I used on my motorcycle but you can only fit the strapping around the filter, the bar that winds it up won't fit so you have to twist it at an angle. You maybe get about a 1/16" turn at a time and usually it just slips off. I have also used the screwdriver method but such a mess and it is not very effective. I had thought of using a slightly larger wrench with a new filter in it as a mould and pour in a harding substance around it to modify the wrench. Johnny 77's suggestion will make life a whole lot easier and that's what is important; not who has the tightest spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts