Kia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to install Foglights into an 2007 LX?
Des it require a new light control stack? Where can I find the parts needed to install the foglights? Are all the cables available for this type of install?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
metsRondo said:
Does anybody know how to install Foglights into an 2007 LX?
Des it require a new light control stack? Where can I find the parts needed to install the foglights? Are all the cables available for this type of install?
I can't locate the link (maybe it was on another site), but I seem to recall that there was pictures showing that you were able to install an after-market fog (could have been one of the units sold at Wal-Mart) by cutting out the fog light molding on your vehicle and mounting in it. The original KIA set up used on the EX would be very expensive as you have to replace the light stalk assembly and all that would entail. Maybe other members might recall it.

·
Registered
04 Mercedes C230, 08 Rondo LX V6
367 Posts
foglights in an LX

I have the same issue. I haven't yet bought a Rondo, but hope to get an 08 5-seater (therefore prob an LX) this week. A dealer service guy told me that the wire harnesses were most likely there. And the OEM parts don't seem all that bad. If I'm reading the info right (a BIG if), kiaparts.net has the oem assemblies for $65 each, the plastic covers for $10 each, and the headlight/foglight switch for $56. So total parts would appear to be ~$200 IF the necessary wire harnesses are all there. I think I'd have a pro do the switch install though b/c of the airbag issue.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,792 Posts
I have the same issue. I haven't yet bought a Rondo, but hope to get an 08 5-seater (therefore prob an LX) this week. A dealer service guy told me that the wire harnesses were most likely there. And the OEM parts don't seem all that bad. If I'm reading the info right (a BIG if), kiaparts.net has the oem assemblies for $65 each, the plastic covers for $10 each, and the headlight/foglight switch for $56. So total parts would appear to be ~$200 IF the necessary wire harnesses are all there. I think I'd have a pro do the switch install though b/c of the airbag issue.
I just wonder if this would be enough.
When you turn on low beam and fog lights together, they work fine, but when you use high beam at the same time, fog lights turn off. I wonder how does it happen. If lights are some way controlled by computer?

·
Registered
367 Posts
foglight function

Thanks PLP for another thoughtful reply! But I would think the functions you described could be pretty easily achieved in a good old mechanical switch. All that would be needed is a set of contacts for the foglights that "make" when low beams are on but "break" when you put on the highs. No computer needed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can't locate the link (maybe it was on another site), but I seem to recall that there was pictures showing that you were able to install an after-market fog (could have been one of the units sold at Wal-Mart) by cutting out the fog light molding on your vehicle and mounting in it. The original KIA set up used on the EX would be very expensive as you have to replace the light stalk assembly and all that would entail. Maybe other members might recall it.
Has anyone located the link showing pics of aftermarket fogs in an LX?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Has anyone located the link showing pics of aftermarket fogs in an LX?
Could someone with an EX please measure the ID of the opening in the plastic foglight housing? It would help in trying to find aftermarket lenses that could be mounted in an LX fitted with the plastic panels from an EX?

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Could someone with an EX please measure the ID of the opening in the plastic foglight housing? It would help in trying to find aftermarket lenses that could be mounted in an LX fitted with the plastic panels from an EX?
Good morning in CA :) You must be an early bird or you just simply could not sleep having the new car..

So, the opening is not really round. Here are dimensions in mm.
Horizontal: 90 mm + 5 mm
Vertical: 85mm + 5 mm
90/85 is the measurement of the foglight itself, while 5 mm is around 2.5 mm each side distance from the light glass to the gray plastic cover in the bumper.
Hope this helps.

But IMO I do not see too much gain from using fog lights. Especially after putting HID into low beam...

EDIT:
did you find harness for fog lights in LX?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for the info PLP! They sure do LOOK round in the pics. We have lots of heavy for here in the CA Central Valley winters. I'm just assuming the foglights would help this. Any others want to chime in? Haven't looked for the harness yet. Right now focused on trying to move my Accord.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looks like it's pretty easy to put factory lights in an LX. The switch goes next to the ESC switch to the left of the steering column and the OEM assys will bolt right in. Even without the factory harnesses, it would seem that installing a relay, a fuse, and some wiring between the lamps and the switch is not too tough. After looking at aftermarket lights, I think mounting and aiming them within/behind the factory panels could be really "interesting". So, the only remaining question is:
Are the 27W factory lights of any practical use when it's foggy?

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
I will repeat myself.
I do not find fog lights helpful. They look nice. That's it.
Driving in fog or heavy snow, when i turn the lights on, I can get maybe a little bit more light on the road, but we are talking about three feet distance between bottom line of low beam and bottom line of fog light (bottom line I mean the light pattern on the road, in other words, beginning of the light).

Low beam provides such wide angle that fog does not help at all.

But once again, I compare to HID in low beam now. Although, before that I remember that fogs did not help too much either.
They would if you could run only fog lights without low beam, because low beam gives too much glare in fog (you are almost blinded by light reflection from fog, that fog light does not do too much).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dunno if it's legal here in the US to run "fogs only", but it would be pretty easy to set up. Run a fused line from IGN on (only hot w/engine running) to an OEM foglight switch (looks pretty) and then to an aftermarket relay. When you close the switch, the relay is energized and closes contacts in a separate fused circuit capable of delivering appropriate amps to the lights. Piece o' cake! Legal? Beats me.

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Oh, I did not know it might be illegal.
The thing I discovered while trying to set DRL is that while in not use, instead of havinh "nothing" in the wires, you get "-". In both, while in use, lets say red gets + and other stays -.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The DMV guide here in CA says never to drive with just parking or fog lights. Guess that means illegal here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Talked with both CHP & local police. Driving with fog lights only IS illegal in California. It will get you a ticket AND 1 point on your license! Local said main bennie of fogs is that they throw light way out to the sides so you have a better chance of seeing lane boundaries. Seems to agree with PLP's earlier post. But if you're being blinded by low beam reflection, what's the point (again as suggested by PLP).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Armed with a nice schematic, I removed the passenger compartment fuse panel to determine which wires and components were actually present on my foglight-less 08 LX. But the fuse panel has a cover with about 10 snap attachments points. I couldn't get it off so I don't know if there is a foglight relay inside or not. But I did observe that locations 1 & 9 on I/P-H connector which would have a red and a blue wire respectively running out to the lamps are empty. So the only practical way to add OEM foglamps is to use a general purpose relay wired as shown on the schematic to an OEM switch in the instrument panel. It will not be wired thru the headlight switch so I would lose the "with low beams only" configuration of the factory setup. What is interesting is that the fog lamp indicator light IS present in the instrument cluster (proven by powering pinout 9 in I/P-E connector). So if I go ahead at least I can have a visual indicator to remind me that the fogs are on. Could be a fun project. And I'd have the only LX in the US with OEM foglights! Talk about famous!

·
Registered
2007 kia rondo lx
34 Posts
Armed with a nice schematic, I removed the passenger compartment fuse panel to determine which wires and components were actually present on my foglight-less 08 LX. But the fuse panel has a cover with about 10 snap attachments points. I couldn't get it off so I don't know if there is a foglight relay inside or not. But I did observe that locations 1 & 9 on I/P-H connector which would have a red and a blue wire respectively running out to the lamps are empty. So the only practical way to add OEM foglamps is to use a general purpose relay wired as shown on the schematic to an OEM switch in the instrument panel. It will not be wired thru the headlight switch so I would lose the "with low beams only" configuration of the factory setup. What is interesting is that the fog lamp indicator light IS present in the instrument cluster (proven by powering pinout 9 in I/P-E connector). So if I go ahead at least I can have a visual indicator to remind me that the fogs are on. Could be a fun project. And I'd have the only LX in the US with OEM foglights! Talk about famous!
so the fuse in the ip fuse panel has no wires behind it?when i pulled the fuse for foglamps there were brass sockets for fuse to make contact with,couldnt really see the connector to verify wires.i have a radio shop going to wire them up for me.the mystery is where did the factory put the relay.a diagram that i got online showed it as part of the fuse panel ip,but after staring at it for 10 minutes it seems impossible.the wiring diagram shows wire out from fuse panel to 30 on the relay.i replaced the turn signal switch with the foglight version and the wire is there for pin 12....didnt follow down to see where it went but according to the diagram it goes to pin 86 on the relay.so i havent found a slot for relay or possible location.....anyone???

schematic

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 kia rondo lx
34 Posts
has anyone taken the fuse panel apart to see if relays are hiding under the cover???
so according to this diagram the relay is hiding under the plastic cover,kinda stupid as only someone thats really handy would be able to get to it if it failed.otherwise PAY UP!!!!!...so with that i would think you could wire it up pretty close to the way the factory did following the wiring diagram.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts