Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I took my new Rondo into the dealer for an oil change I was not impressed with the service we received. I ended up butting heads with the service tech there as he explained to me that I needed to have an oil change done on my car ever 5 000 km.

I’ve read my owner manual and it’s pretty clear that an oil change is needed every 8 000 km. Which is when I went to have it done. I brought it up to the service tech but was very quickly told that the manual is wrong and that if I did not follow the service plan schedule for 5 000 km then I would void my warranty on the new car.

The service people at the dealership where very pushy and seemed more interested in trying to scare my wife about the car than anything else. I am pretty sure that they are just trying to get oil changes out of me since we have several included when we bought the car.

Is this typical behavior I should expect? Is the service tech is right, what other information is not correct in the manual?

Hoping to get some clarification.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,430 Posts
Do you really think dealerships make money changing oil??
I'll give you all a tip...we don't. So if a dealership is trying to tell you, you need to change you oil more often, it's not a bad idea. The tech was giving you HIS opinion! If you don't like the dealer, try another.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
I think it's very poor behavior to straight up say the manual is wrong.

It's more complicated. He should have just said that your driving environment and driving habits are to use the more aggressive change interval, not that the manual is wrong.

Does your manual provide different oil change intervals depending on whether you are doing stop and go traffic, dusty conditions, etc.? Or is your driving all highway miles with no dust?

Another option is to be reasonable and consider that you are in a delimma - the manual says you are right, but the shop says you are wrong. So how do you break the tie? You call Kia headquarters and ask them who should you believe is the liar here, your manual or your dealership? Let them decide who is the liar here, so you don't have to worry yourself [hint, I don't think they'll say the manual is wrong...]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts