Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2019 Kia Sportage SX 2.0L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been having intermittent shifting problems since May 2022. The RPM's rev between 2000-3000 while just trying to get up to 40 mph. It has lost pickup on the highway as well as just driving 30-40 mph. No dummy lights are coming on and it isn't throwing any diagnostic codes. I've taken it to 2 Kia dealers including the one that I purchased it from and all they said they found was a vacuum hose that looked like it was chewed by a rodent. They've replaced the hose and it seems to have been better but time will tell. I've seen at least 2 postings on various websites stating the same exact shifting situation I have with the same exact year, make and model of car.
I have found a class action lawsuit against Toyota for using soy based wiring et cetera which leads to rodent damage I'm just wondering if anybody out there is having the same problem.

· Registered
2021 Kia Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI FWD
86 Posts
When I bought my 2021 SX new there was a hose that was chewed up along with the hood insulation. The service manager said it was a common issue with all cars. They replaced those pieces a few days after I took delivery and it’s been fine since. I haven’t had any shifting problems though. Hope that did trick for you.

· Registered
2017 KIA Sportage SX AWD
407 Posts
This happened to me several years ago on my Ford truck. It was a cold January and we had a deep snow. I don't move the truck in ice and snow, so it sat there until it melted. In the meanwhile, something nested on top of the fuel tank where a lot of rubber hoses are - it cost about $800 to drop the tank and replace that stuff including the filler neck. Since then, I treat that area with '3-n-1' Silicone Garage Door Lube' two or three times a year. It's actually good for plastic and rubber and doesn't harm anything but it has a pungent odor and makes everything slippery. Apparently the rodents don't like it and I haven't had any problems of that type since.
I would not hesitate to hit the rubber under the hood with it as well.

· Registered
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX Prestige
117 Posts
My car has been having intermittent shifting problems since May 2022. The RPM's rev between 2000-3000 while just trying to get up to 40 mph. It has lost pickup on the highway as well as just driving 30-40 mph. No dummy lights are coming on and it isn't throwing any diagnostic codes. I've taken it to 2 Kia dealers including the one that I purchased it from and all they said they found was a vacuum hose that looked like it was chewed by a rodent. They've replaced the hose and it seems to have been better but time will tell. I've seen at least 2 postings on various websites stating the same exact shifting situation I have with the same exact year, make and model of car.
I have found a class action lawsuit against Toyota for using soy based wiring et cetera which leads to rodent damage I'm just wondering if anybody out there is having the same problem.
on hondas rodents attack a few engine harnesses and they sell a ‘rodent tape’ its laced with spices so when they bite it deters then from coming back

Might want to grab that and wrap your trouble areas.
Soy based wiring is very common in all oems

· Registered
2019 Kia Sportage SX 2.0L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks TypeX I obviously had no idea. I will look into it because I can't afford to pay $300 every time they decide they're hungry. 🐿🐀

1 - 6 of 6 Posts