Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage, Camry, MG, Moke
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day from Australia. I have just bought my first Kia, a Sportage AWD and find it is a beautiful car to drive. But . . . . I've just had a bit of a scare :eek:.
There was a terrible grinding and screeching sound coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. I took it straight to the dealer and the mechanic reported he "removed nsf wheel, brake caliper and disk" where he found a "rock between disk and backing plate". This could have caused all sorts of damage out on a freeway or something.
I wrote to Kia Australia who replied that "The concern you experienced is not unique to Kia or Sportage but happens to all brands of vehicles that use disc brakes for a braking system."

My question is, has this happened to anyone else or have you heard about it happening before? Is this a design flaw in the protection of the brake area, or was I just unlucky?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
It is not a design flaw. I see this happen occasionally to many different brands. Usually no damage is done, but it sounds horrible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happens to me all the time in PA in different vehicles because of the gravel on the roads and I noticed I can often get it out in reverse when it happens.

·
Registered
Sportage, Camry, MG, Moke
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This happens to me all the time in PA in different vehicles because of the gravel on the roads and I noticed I can often get it out in reverse when it happens.
Thanks mate, and thanks Spongebob, for your answers. Do you just run the car in reverse and hope the stone falls out?

I must admit, I've never heard of this happening before, and I've been driving for nearly 50 years. Guess an Old Fart like myself still has some things to learn :lol:

Wazza

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I will just go into a parking lot and drive in reverse in a circle and usually the stone will come out because the force on the stone changes direction.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX w/SX Premium and Technology Packages
4 Posts
My brakes have been grinding a little if I put a little more pressure than normal. Usually around the 5 to 20 MPH point as I'm stopping. My car is only about 5 months old so the brakes should be like new still. Need to take it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts