Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona, 3.5L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to find coil packs for an 03 Sedona 3.5L? I have searched every way I know how on this site, and can't find them.
I have this problem constantly with RA. Anyone got the "combination" to search this site, or am I the only one who struggles with Rock Auto?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
102 Posts
Yep, that is correct. It takes 3 total on the front bank. To the rear bank is secondary plug cables. To do the rear ones you need to remove intake plenum, which, can be a real pain due to bolts in a tight location by firewall.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona, 3.5L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the plugs and wires are confusing. When I look up spark plug wire kits at Autozone, etc, there are only 3 wires. What am I missing? Remember, the last time I worked on a car was in the 90s, and it was a 72 Chevelle. LOL.
Edited to add: Well, actually I just finished a three day stint replacing the radiator in this thing, but you get my point.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
102 Posts
The 3 front cylinders ( near radiator) have coil over plugs so those have the coil packs. Straight plug wires connect to those coils and route to the 3 rear cylinders (near firewall) and plug directly to the spark plugs with no coil pack. I'll take some pics of mine real quick and post them here in a few to show how it goes.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona, 3.5L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 3 front cylinders ( near radiator) have coil over plugs so those have the coil packs. Straight plug wires connect to those coils and route to the 3 rear cylinders (near firewall) and plug directly to the spark plugs with no coil pack. I'll take some pics of mine real quick and post them here in a few to show how it goes.
Thanks, Justin.Not used to the newer tech. I should have continued working on them instead of stopping years ago. That was a mistake, and I'm going to have to learn all over again.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
102 Posts
It can definitely be tricky, but not too difficult. My dad started teaching me how to work on cars when I was 5.
Now I do mobile mechanic work where I live here in northern Illinois.

Here's the front coils. They are powered by the connector on the right hand side. It plugs directly on top of the spark plug and held down by 2 bolts, I believe 10mm. The cable on the left is the secondary that is just a straight plug wire to the corresponding cylinder on the rear bank.

The cables route on the passenger side towards the firewall and go underneath the intake plenum (surge tank) and then plug directly to the plugs. No bolts to hold them in, they just snap in place.

Intake plenum must come off to get the back ones. Take out 4 bolts to throttle body. Then the hard part, there's 2 brackets that need to be unbolted and only a little space by firewall to get a small wrench in there. The bolts can't be seen too easily due to position. Just feel for them. There's 2 or 3 bolts by throttle that screw in towards the engine and they are on pretty tight. Just about under neath the vacuum hose seen here.

This bracket also needs to be removed, same as the previous one. These should be 10mm or 12mm. This bracket should be bolted on tight as it's there for engine hoist.

As soon as I can get mine on order, I'll be doing the same job. I've been getting some random misfires that skip around all 6 cylinders. I'll try to shoot video of the work to post for anyone who needs help.
Until then, I'm working on replacing driver side CV axle, mine lost grease from the inner boot and now causing a violent shaking during acceleration. I'll change out the output shaft seal as well.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona, 3.5L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I had the driver side CV replaced last year.
I would definitely watch a vid if you posted. Are you just talking about posting here, or do you have a Youtube I can check out? This will need to be done on mine as soon as I can. It will likely be out in the cold.
Mine is skipping/missing badly until I accelerate. I had a friend look at it, and he said two of the coil packs are bad. That was a few months ago.
I have held off buying because Autozone wants near $70 for one. Like everyone else right now, money is tight and I just don't have it. Now that I found them on Rock Auto I can replace all three for that, or just a bit more.
I might order them as soon as I can and just replace them and see if that helps. If I can make it to warmer temps the tuneup would be much easier.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
102 Posts
Definitely can save a lot by shopping at rock auto.
I don't actually have any videos on youtube yet, but I will soon. Of course I'll be happy to share here. There are lots of general videos on youtube for auto repair, but not too many specific to kia sedona.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona, 3.5L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, and if you find them they are NOT for the 2003, which I have found to be a lot different than most of the other Sedonas I've seen being worked on on Youtube.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
170 Posts
My original coils lasted around 130,000 to 150,000 miles. Really good coils. Replaced them with Bosch I think. You only need 3 coils. The ones in the back are direct wire from the front coils. Those wires should be replaced though at high miles, also the spark plugs as well.

If you have the plenum off, you should do the valve cover gasket while plenum is off. It's a pain to get it off. So, you should do the gasket when it's off. The gasket will get brittle and leak oil. You will loose oil from it and the oil will drip down to the exhaust pipe. Mine made blue smoke cause of it. Now, no more smoke.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona, 3.5L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My original coils lasted around 130,000 to 150,000 miles. Really good coils. Replaced them with Bosch I think. You only need 3 coils. The ones in the back are direct wire from the front coils. Those wires should be replaced though at high miles, also the spark plugs as well.

If you have the plenum off, you should do the valve cover gasket while plenum is off. It's a pain to get it off. So, you should do the gasket when it's off. The gasket will get brittle and leak oil. You will loose oil from it and the oil will drip down to the exhaust pipe. Mine made blue smoke cause of it. Now, no more smoke.
Absolutely plan to do all of that, including the valve cover gasket, which IS leaking a bit.
Thanks, glycine4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts